• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbywing Xerun v3.1 just blew up! Advice needed!

obious

Hi All,

So to give a bit of context, I bought a complete new set up (Hobbywing  xerun 120a v3.1 ESC, Team Orion 13.5t motor and Team Orion 7200/100c mAH lipo) about two weeks ago to slot nicely into my new xray T4.

I haven't even taken it onto a track yet, work and family commitments have kept me from doing so. After fitting a new pair of Xray ECS's tonight I thought I'd just connected the lipo to ensure everything was peachy, (+ just to make sure all was well) when trouble started! 

After connecting one power lead firmly, I went ahead with the second power connector and for some reason, a giant amount of sparks came out of the banana female socket whilst a rather audible pop (and a lot of smoke) was both heard and witnessed coming out of the Hobbywing power caps. The power leads also became extremely hot. 

After wondering what the hell just happened and standing in slight shock for 5-10 seconds I started to notice not only the smell but also that the lipo had started to balloon.

So I'm wondering, should I ring Modelsport UK tomorrow and ask for a replacement ESC and battery or am I stuffed?

Has anyone else experience anything like this?!

Thanks!

Seems like the power cables are wrong way round, is my only thought, and I know what you said. Would email them, happend to me on my new Hacktronic esc 4 months old, I sent that right back, been told it's being fixed, soon as I plugged it in after calibration, after a 28 mile journey up it went!

image11_zps1dd4df62.jpg

FYI the cables, as you know, come pre-soldered on the v3.1

The lipo is just sitting on my desk, it seems to have stopped enlarging. To be fair, it hasn't blown up that much, just enough to notice that it wobbles when place on a flat surface!

Edited by obious