• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beef ...

Ste001

Im looking for help from the chef's among then the rc'ers !!!

Now my mom has abit of a track record with cooking meat bad and last week it was to the point of being inedible so i sort of told her she was being stupid and meat is easy to cook. I then went on to say that i could do it better anytime.

Get home tonight and there is a note on the side next to a big beef (topside) joint saying 'needs to be done 6pm sunday'. So yeh moms called my bluff !

Never cooked in my life, supernoodles is the best i can do and i burn them...

So any help on what to do ? Or how to do it ? Tips ?

Thanks haha, hopefully i wont die !

Sent from my Fingers using the Tinternet

Topside is very lean, so you need to cook it low and slow as is.  

Heat some oil in a thick frying pan first, then sear all the sides to seal the joint - this will help juices stay in.  Season it lightly with salt and pepper.  Then cook in a preheated oven, wrapped in foil (or in a nice cast iron cookpot with lid or similar) for a long time!  Time depends on size of joint - google is your friend as a guide.  

30 mins before serving remove from oven, wrap fresh tinfoil round the existing foil then wrap it all up in towels to keep warm, put to one side (pref somewhere warm).  Whilst that's resting make your gravy using the juices that have accumulated in the cook pot.  When you open the foil for the beef pour the juices in there into the gravy too.  Don't worry about cheating with bisto - the meat juices will improve in no end.

Done like this the beef will be melt in the mouth tender, it won't cut fine though, so don't try - it will just pull apart.

Topside doesnt really suit cooking quickly imo, but you can, seal as before then cook in a very hot oven - you'll need some basting fat from the butcher to put on top to melt through as it cooks, as well as basting it whilst it cooks.  again it needs to rest after - done this way the beef will be tougher (its topside after all) but more suited to slicing into fine slices.  I'd go with the long slow option - tastes better, no 'pink' for ppl to turn there noses up at and tastes better.

Edited by capri-boy