• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Skiing...

Ste001

Hi all,

Im going skiing the end of February for a week which i am really looking forward too.

I have brought most the gear i need (i think :s) bar skii, boots and sticks...

So im just wondering if anyone has been skiing before, this is my first time and i have never skied in my life haha. Is it hard to learn ?

I can water skii and ice skate pretty well but dont known if that helps haha. I plan on learning out there and have booked a 3 hour lesson each morning im out there.

Am i better to have some basic training in the uk and then be ready to move on out there or can you pick it up easy ? I dont want to spend all week at the bottom of the mountain haha.

Its bansko in bulgaria im going...

So yeh, any advice or help appreciated !

Heres what i have brought so far, if im missing anything important please let me know as prices are mad out there !!! Haha

a4dad6fce7ae429af5847d55220ebde1.jpg

f4136ef063a07844b1a6be99a5577753.jpg

631bc2b3ded1a89fb4590bb065ed4588.jpg

0bc270fd39039f65ec500fca16fc2896.jpg

Also have a few extra base layers and another paid of socks

Ste

Sent from my Fingers using the Tinternet

Hi there

I've been going skiing/ snowboarding every year for the past 12-13 years now. To be completely honest I very much doubt you'll learn to ski at a high enough standard to make it enjoyable rather than frustrating in week. Seeing as you've never been before I would take maybe 3 full day courses to teach you the basics and get you going down a smal slope comfortably. Then after 3 days of you feel comfortable you can go on the larger steeper slopes if you feel comfortable. It's defianteky not easy but as you will have a decent sense of balance from water skiing and ice skating you may be able to learn very quick :)

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative or disappointing but from past experience and from what I've seen... If a beginner goes out on a steep large mountain and is way out of their comfort zone, especially if it's a busy area, you can get hurt very quickly! So it's very wise you bought a helmet thumbs up on that :)

Just for reference I went skiing for one week each year for about 5-6 years and Did a full week course each week. After 2 years I could skii well enough to go out with my parents after the course was finished on the same day so got a little extra practice. After 5-6 years of doing this I was (in my opinion) no pro skier but I was defianteky a decent standard. And that's when it is the most fun and exiting when yo feel confident and are good at it.

About 4 years ago I tried snowboarding and I'm now hooked on that so no more skiing for me lol. It's taken me 3-4 years to get confident enough and good enough at snowboarding to the point where I was with skiing probably aided by my sat skiing experience.

This is getting a hit long but in summary as your only going for a week. I think you might benefit from a few lessons here in the UK be it at an indoor snow centre or on brushes or even just some theory lessons. It will help you understand and pick it up quicker on your holiday allowing you to go out on your own and enjoy it rather than get frustrated quicker.

Also looks like you've got everything you need. Don't buy skis or boobs rent them at the place your going. Not sure if you said that or not.

Otherwise hope you have a good time it's a great sport to get into and I've been lucky enough to go every year since I was about 4

Hope some of this helps :)

Meet me know if you've got anymore questions

As above ive been snowboarding for about 7-8 years and I had months and months of lessons over here and the first time I went abroad on a proper mountian I was way out of my comfort zone. Id advise a few lessons here then like mentioned above maybe get a few full days and hopefully by the end of them you can get going on your own for the rest of your holiday  :thumbsup:

Only additional thing I would advise buying is a neck buff if you dont have one already. Keeps youe neck and face covered and warm  :yes:

• 1 month later...

Well im back :)

Brilliant week.

Had a 3 hour lesson on the first day and 2 hours on second day and i was off.

Started if doing blue runs but by end of the week was doing blue, red and black fine ! :D

Got loads of go pro vids from it and amazing week.

Oh yeh we also dressed up on the second to last day because why not

4ebc7439f050533cec3c08e95035f9c7.jpg

Made it onto the bansko blog with this, everyone loved it haha

ste001_zpsbc5e570d.png

Sent from my Fingers using the Tinternet

I just got back from my holiday last sunday and had a great week aswell, got a bit of gopro footage too  :thumbsup:

Did you have any spectacular falls that you want to tell us about?  :whistling: