• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

choosing a battery

ProBlitz

Doubtful they will post to EU though :(  (have not checked though)

From hobbyking .

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38345

They say 35c which will be fine for your brushed motor.

If you wanna save some coin.  I've got 2 of these zippy hardcase packs and a imaxb6 (original) charger  I don't need.  If you want em PM me ;)

Oh and i can change the lead on ya ESC if you like too.   reside in Germany so postal costs for us a cheaper than those UK merchants ;)  Where abouts are you again?

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

They say 35c which will be fine for your brushed motor.

If you wanna save some coin.  I've got 2 of these zippy hardcase packs and a imaxb6 (original) charger  I don't need.  If you want em PM me ;)

Oh and i can change the lead on ya ESC if you like too.   reside in Germany so postal costs for us a cheaper than those UK merchants ;)  Where abouts are you again?

hum... im from portugal but those zippy 50c seem a bit too much i dont want to get my motor on fire :(

I use a 2s 5000mah 50C lipo on a standard Tamiya 105bk esc and standard mabuchi 540, nice increase in speed and runtime.

The motor will only take what it needs so don't worry about fire my friend. Get an infrared temperature gun for when your driving it, stop after 5 minutes and check the temperature of the motor,esc and lipo. If its below 70 degrees C, still ok :) try and aim for less than 50 degrees C with adjusting the gearing, you will get there.

Edited by NuttyProfessor

Is there room to install an electric fan?

Something similar to PC fans?

As has been said the motor will pull as much as it wants, if your really concerned why not put in an inline fuse? Thats of a lower rating than the Esc?

And if anything goes the cheap fuse will blow instead of something more expensive?

Just my thoughts anyway

in the motor i think i can fit a fan and what do you mean with the fuse?

and if the battery has a 50c constant it will use the the 50c even if the motor dont use it or am i wrong?

Edited by ProBlitz

wrong.

• Motor says give me power and I go.  But I will only take what i want and need.
  • Esc says ok it's now my job to give this to you .  here u go mr motor
  • battery (like a slave worker) goes here it is I got more but if you take to much I'll get angry.

Best way to know what u want is too over rate (allow head room) for the next component in line.

1. motor, max amps it will pull (for voltage used, ie: 8.4v for a 2s lipo) 
  2. esc amp rating higher than motor amps
  3. lipo amp output higher than esc amp rating.  C rating multiplied by Amp rating. eg: 5000mah 20c gives you (5000mah/1000 =5 A) So 5A x 20c= 100A output.

In short the higher C rating combined with mah rating means lipo can provide more but will only do so when told.  lipo C rating will never be the cause of motor failure.  Too many extra volts however will/can do damage.

Please read up on lipo safety :good:

pm recieved pls wait.

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

Any charger charging through the balance plug will have a limited charge current because the wires are too small to carry more than 2A

yes i know it the ones i saw its about 800 900mah i think i dont need a faster one.. the problem is do they balance the battery?

yes i know it the ones i saw its about 800 900mah i think i dont need a faster one.. the problem is do they balance the battery?

Yes, but consider that a ~900mah charger will take 5-6 hours just to charge a single lipo ( 5000mah for example ). Stop being a peasant, spend

• Like 1

yes but if i get lipos  will be from hoobyking and i cant find "anything" on the european warehouse or at least one i dont need a power supply... probably the best i can get its this one charger i will do more search... but everytime i search on these things i allways found people talking about a lipo getting on fire and a bit "afraid" of getting my car or house on fire xD or even only the battery and the charger because probably if the battery gets on fire the charger will get damage too...

and one more question can i use this adapters for charging without any danger?

yes but if i get lipos  will be from hoobyking and i cant find "anything" on the european warehouse or at least one i dont need a power supply... probably the best i can get its this one charger i will do more search... but everytime i search on these things i allways found people talking about a lipo getting on fire and a bit "afraid" of getting my car or house on fire xD or even only the battery and the charger because probably if the battery gets on fire the charger will get damage too...

and one more question can i use this adapters for charging without any danger?

Check ebay, or look for some 'local' hobby retailers in Europe- must be some surely on the web. That adaptor will be fine, just don't short out the unused connectors during use.

i just found this batteries  they have a good price the question is are they good or i will get my house or car on fire? xD

They are nimhs, and probably more expensive than half decent lipos. If you want to stick with nimhs, look on ebay for Vapextech nimhs- very good quality and much cheaper than branded packs.

well on the charger i want one of those i can plug on the wall 90% of what i find i need a power supply and i dont have one :(

if i go for nimh its not worthed to import i get a 5000mah for 38

Edited by ProBlitz

There's a lot of question there! I will give it a go....

Mains chargers are more expensive and no good for field charging, I either clip it on the car battery or use a laptop charger(at 3.6A max) but you could use a computer power supply?

I buy all my Lipo's from HobbyKing they are not the best but are good value for money. Select Lipo's from you local warehouse otherwise shipping will be very expensive and take weeks. I would recommend changing the connectors on the ESC as the battery and charger will match diff you buy the right one. A 2s Lipo will work on most ESCs but may not have a Lipo cut off so buy a couple of Lipo LV alarms and they will bleep when it's down to it minimum voltage. 2s means 2 cells in series to increase voltage. 2s2p means it has 4cells, 2 in series and 2 in parallel. These batts are charges as a 2s pack it just means that it might have a high C and/or mA rating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

could use a computer power supply?

well i have one desktop computer i "never" use if it would work in a way that if i want to use for the computer again without having to spend a lot of time changing stuff because i saw something on the internet about that and it seems i had to change a lot of stuff

well so much time  thinking about stay with nimh or upgrade to lipo and  im convict on upgrade to lipo maybe i will choose this battery and put a XT60 connectors on it and on my esc, any suggestion?

and one more question that lipo fully charged will have something like 8.4v right?so my motor that has a 7.4v limit will fry?

just one more xD on manual doesnt say anithing about changing to lipo so i just need to simply plug a lipo instead of a nimh?  :confused:  

Bit of a cheap lipo but it should be okay for a 1/10 2wd model.

Your motor will be fine with 8.4v- fully charged nimhs tend to be a fair bit higher than their rated voltage too.

As for different battery types- doesn't matter, voltage is voltage, all you need to think about is draining the lipos too low and damaging them. If your esc doesn't have a lipo mode ( cut off voltage setting ), then you need to get a cheap lipo alarm that warns you when the voltage is low & when to stop running the model. Look on ebay for 'lipo alarm' and you'll see what you need.