• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Custom built nitro rc

Sambecky1989

Hi all I'm Sam I have a HPI savage x 4.6

Not been into the nitro rc scene long but love it and really interested in it

I have basic mechanical knowledge

My current hpi savage x 4.6 is not running at mo as need to replace clutch bell and bearings etc

Right enough about who I am and what I have I have posted this to ask a question and get some advice

I'm looking for a hobby to keep me busy while Mrs is at work (I can't work due to health issues)

Now I love the nitro RC side of things but I'm itching to build a few custom ones (completely from sctrach)

Is this possible to do ???

Can you mix and match parts from different brands?? Or do I have to stick with one brand for one build??

Just after advice and help really as budget is limited and will be a long term build hobby so buying bits and pieces as and when.

Thank you in advance

When it comes to RC, as long as you have a basic knowledge and an understanding of simple engineering principles...you can do what ever you want ( subject to finance and the laws of physics anyway )

I don't own a single standard RC....

If you are building a 4WD, then front and rear drivetrains need to match. You may find some differences in the driveshafts ball-end dimensions between models, but in the main, it's surprising how many parts will mix and match.

My Kyosho Madforce, for example, uses Savage diff internals, Savage axles and wheel hexes from...er...something else!

I have a Hyper 7 converted to a rally car, and that uses custom side guards, rear shocks off an FG Marder clone, XTM body mounts and home made bumpers.

You got the time to measure, research and check....so just take your time and make something wild :)

As far as engines/diffs go, it's really a question of not overloading. If your diff was originally for a small 1/10 onroad car, then bolting a .28 big block on it would probably kill it. If it was built to take an equivalent motor.....then no problem.

If you have the 9T pinion 'bulletproof' Savage diffs, then they can take a lot of abuse. I run a pair of 4.6cc nitro motors through them with no problems. The gearboxes and slipper clutches fell apart until I used a beefed up Flux single speed setup with locked slipper :)

• Like 1

When it comes to RC, as long as you have a basic knowledge and an understanding of simple engineering principles...you can do what ever you want ( subject to finance and the laws of physics anyway )

I don't own a single standard RC....

If you are building a 4WD, then front and rear drivetrains need to match. You may find some differences in the driveshafts ball-end dimensions between models, but in the main, it's surprising how many parts will mix and match.

My Kyosho Madforce, for example, uses Savage diff internals, Savage axles and wheel hexes from...er...something else!

I have a Hyper 7 converted to a rally car, and that uses custom side guards, rear shocks off an FG Marder clone, XTM body mounts and home made bumpers.

You got the time to measure, research and check....so just take your time and make something wild :)

As far as engines/diffs go, it's really a question of not overloading. If your diff was originally for a small 1/10 onroad car, then bolting a .28 big block on it would probably kill it. If it was built to take an equivalent motor.....then no problem.

If you have the 9T pinion 'bulletproof' Savage diffs, then they can take a lot of abuse. I run a pair of 4.6cc nitro motors through them with no problems. The gearboxes and slipper clutches fell apart until I used a beefed up Flux single speed setup with locked slipper :)

Thank you so much that's help clear things up a bit and as said above it will just be as a hobby and if I can make / build custom rc's then I would like to do it full time eventually but for now it will just be my hobby.

Least I know now the sort of things I need to make sure of (engines diffs drivetrain etc) and the rest I can pretty much mix and match

Thanks again

Did you ever sort out that Condor for your brother i think it was?

No mate they didn't want too fix it in the end but you mentioning that has given me an idea to see if I can have it (it's a 1/10 scale and ideally I want to build 1/8 scale but it will be a start)