• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

nearly smoke a motor

hipwell

Well I had a fully charged battery tonight and my charger doesn't have a discharge mode so when I got in after racing I set my speedo to 25% throttle and let the car rev for about 15 minutes.

When I went to check voltage the motor was stinking red hot and smelled like an electrical fire so I quickly took the car outside to let it cool.

I regularly race it upto 75c when on track for 5 min races but this felt way hotter than its ever got a racing but I didn't have my temp gauge to hand.

It's working OK now but what are the chances that it's done some serious damage?

Edited by hipwell

long as it still spins it should be fine.

the bearings should be ok, the smell is probably just the brushes (if brushed) or some glue/lubricant vaporizing, not really anything to worry about.

only real danger with heat is the magnets can become demagnetized, when too hot, not good for bearings either but the magnets should fail before the bearings do, unless really old.

if anything you probs just shortened its total life span.

for future reference when you come to discharge a battery, any battery you are far better off soldering up a small light bulb to plug into it instead, any house hold 60w bulb will do, will discharge at a low rate too which is better when you want to store it for awhile.

its a 13.5 dynamite brushless. I didnt dare check the temp as i took it straight outside into the cold but it was mega hot, in a 5 min race i usually get to about 75c and it was way hotter to the touch than that.

Its still spinning fine and seems to rev and boost up properly so hopefully itl be ok.