• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FeedTheInferno's Nissan Skyline R33 GTR project

Feedtheinferno

• 1 month later...

Any updates?

Sorry bud not yet as the Skyline has been put away for the winter.

With the salty roads it is just sitting on my drive as I don't want to add to the rust it already has on certain sections of it.

I suppose I could do a little update though, in fact yeah I do have some new things to mention I will update this at the weekend with some interesting bits about the rust and other bits :)

Although I don't have a lot of pictures I will try and keep this updated more as things are moving along.

As the car is currently off the road until around March I have started budgeting and collecting parts for it's on the road time as soon as the salt has all but washed away.

As mentioned previously the main issue now is the fact its a 20 year old car from a country where they didn't treat their cars for heavy weather situations meaning they are quite prone to certain areas of rust. Here is where mine falls down:-

Front Suspension Strut tops - Common problem with all R33 and R34 GTR's at some point in their life. The problem with the tops is the way they were manufactured, there is a bottom plate and a top, however they are welded together with a small gap between the two meaning moisture over the years would get in-between and rust them from the inside out, they always look better than they are. Although I will get pictures of what mine look like, here is a idea of how they can look.

3EhKW1S.jpg?1

wLBuhb4.jpg?1

VeTpE3n.jpg?1

FklIRdw.jpg?1

I7OGsmb.jpg?1

As you can see from the last photo, the top layer just coming off and being re-welded isn't enough. The only way to cure the rot is to completely replace it with a donor strut top.

Next up 

Boot

Sills

Rear Arches

Let's hope yours is better than that.

Can't they be sealed in some form to avoid that?

Al.

No sadly not, the issue is with the tiny gap between the two plates, the only way to get them apart is to cut them and drill them off, which ruins the structure of the strut top. 

Mine will be that bad, even ones that show no rust normally are that bad. It makes no difference as the cost is generally the same no matter what the level of rust as they always need to be cut out and replaced.

Understood - courtesy of watching Edd in Wheeler Dealers!!

I think theirs had the same problem as well???

Al.

I have seen that one and yes it's exactly the same problem. However with most things on that show he really did half-arse the job. He cut that section out and re-fitted it. However the rust would have spread throughout the strut top and would come back in a few months. Also I seem to remember him saying it would cost about

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK so the car is booked in for the 23rd of March to start having the bodywork sorted. It's been so busy at work and the place I am taking it is so busy with Skylines that I am going to have to wait for a little longer. But as soon as I start getting photo's of the work being carried out I will post them up. 

That induction kit looks really nice. Looking at a new induction kit for my MR2, but looking at a cone filter, rather than a filter box. It has a HKS Green Mushroom filter atm, but I have heard bad things about it, so definitely looking at replacing it.   

Any idea when your Skyline will be back on the road?

Cooling / Slam plate looks nice.

How low will the front splitter be?

Our boss has a V12 Vantage S Aston - bugger!! - grey, with black 'lipstick' as Aston unfortunately call the nose surround!

Ceramic brakes as well.

Noticed that his front splitter will catch the kerbing at work if he's not careful - perhaps I can get an additional job, 'parking' it ...

Back to OP, sorry. Looks REALLY nice under the bonnet.

Al.

That induction kit looks really nice. Looking at a new induction kit for my MR2, but looking at a cone filter, rather than a filter box. It has a HKS Green Mushroom filter atm, but I have heard bad things about it, so definitely looking at replacing it.   

In regards to actual efficiency the cones will do no different to a mushroom filter, the surface area will be about the same and even if it wasn't it wouldn't make a difference, if you really wanted to make a difference you would need to fit a CAI kit to the car. Me changing my filter is because the car currently has cones and frankly they look way too "Halfords" for my liking, that's not to insult you wanting them of course.

Any idea when your Skyline will be back on the road?

Yes the end of March and then the work begins!

How low will the front splitter be?

It's just a carbon replacement for the standard splitter so no difference from stock, the little lip at the bottom of the bumper is what I am referring too as splitter. Clearance isn't a issue as long as speed bumps etc aren't taken at speed :)

Back to OP, sorry. Looks REALLY nice under the bonnet.

Thank you, but that isn't my car, it's just a stock photo for the sake of showing what the ARC filter box will look like once fitted, I have to wait a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive from Japan, my engine bay is far tattier than that at the moment however that will change over the coming year.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered myself a new bit of kit today, it's second hand and will need some work but it's quite rare.

A top mounting turbo manifold kit made by HKS.

Basically at the moment the twin turbos sit down low beside the engine, as with most things engine related the hotter they get the less efficient they become, the HKS manifold lift the turbo's up above the engine, both making the bay look awesome and cooling the turbo's.

Here is the difference:-

Standard engine bay with the turbos hidden out of sight on the right hand side of the engine:-

R33-GTR-Engine.JPG

And here is what it could look like with them being top mounted (not brilliantly neat but it shows what they do)

article_02.jpg

What's the advantage - fresher / cooler air?

Not going to melt the bonnet?

Al.

The cooler the components compressing the air, the less you have to cool it.  Compressing it heats it up anyway. The cooler the air, the denser the air.  The denser the air the more oxygen.  The more oxygen, the bigger the bang, the bigger the bang, the more power, the more power, the happier the driver... Simples really

Looks like that'll be one fun summer cruiser.. or destroyer, depending how you drive it! ;)

Regarding the gold wheels.. Keep them!! I think they suit the car really well and make it a bit more lairy & unique! Besides, it's a car built to please you, not others. Let the haters hate - you'll never please everyone! :lol:

That turbo mod looks mental - the word overkill springs to mind! lol

• 3 weeks later...

A little update before the real updates come in, the car was dropped off at the bodyshop yesterday and over the course of the week I will be updating the thread with photo's of the rust removal progress.

On a side note, I love driving the GTR, but man does it attract a lot of penises. I was driving on the M4 on Monday in the middle lane at 70 giving it a shake down run after almost 6 months of standing, in the fast lane comes a 54 plate M3 with 4 Indian blokes in, blacked out windows, tacky non standard angel headlights and totally matt black, I am sure you get the picture.

The first thing that I notice is they slow as they come up along side me and put their windows down, followed by keeping along side me and then revving up and shooting off (as much as an old M3 can we 4 guys in it), but then braking to get back down to my speed as I am not rising to the challenge. Bare in mind they are in the fast lane going 70 and they keep braking, so people behind them are obviously getting annoyed and they won't give up trying to get me to race them.

They pull in behind me and keep practically flat against my bumper for about 5 miles before getting bored and then driving off.

Even if I had been inclined to embarrass them it would have been pointless for a number of reasons:-

1) They were filming me so erm no not speeding on camera

2) Why should I waste the fuel on these plebs?

3) I have nothing to prove in a tuned R33 GTR, I know mines faster, especially with their car having 4 fat blokes in it.

4) I can't see the point of rising to a drag race on public roads, if the dumb-asses want to race, go to a drag strip or track.

• Like 2

Excellent comments.

That's why cars like yours should be owned and driven by people like you!!

WELL DONE.

M3 is still a serious machine, if not in the same league, and real stupidity, and carnage could have ensued!!

We need photos of developments now!

Al.

A little update before the real updates come in, the car was dropped off at the bodyshop yesterday and over the course of the week I will be updating the thread with photo's of the rust removal progress.

On a side note, I love driving the GTR, but man does it attract a lot of penises. I was driving on the M4 on Monday in the middle lane at 70 giving it a shake down run after almost 6 months of standing, in the fast lane comes a 54 plate M3 with 4 Indian blokes in, blacked out windows, tacky non standard angel headlights and totally matt black, I am sure you get the picture.

The first thing that I notice is they slow as they come up along side me and put their windows down, followed by keeping along side me and then revving up and shooting off (as much as an old M3 can we 4 guys in it), but then braking to get back down to my speed as I am not rising to the challenge. Bare in mind they are in the fast lane going 70 and they keep braking, so people behind them are obviously getting annoyed and they won't give up trying to get me to race them.

They pull in behind me and keep practically flat against my bumper for about 5 miles before getting bored and then driving off.

Even if I had been inclined to embarrass them it would have been pointless for a number of reasons:-

1) They were filming me so erm no not speeding on camera

2) Why should I waste the fuel on these plebs?

3) I have nothing to prove in a tuned R33 GTR, I know mines faster, especially with their car having 4 fat blokes in it.

4) I can't see the point of rising to a drag race on public roads, if the dumb-asses want to race, go to a drag strip or track.

I've just sold my Evo 5 circa 450bhp and used to get this all the time.... most annoying

Excellent comments.

That's why cars like yours should be owned and driven by people like you!!

WELL DONE.

M3 is still a serious machine, if not in the same league, and real stupidity, and carnage could have ensued!!

We need photos of developments now!

Al.

Thanks dude, it's not a car for everyone but I hate people that buy something that has a bit of presence and then think they are the king of the road. Not to say I don't like the occasional hard acceloration because I do, it's addictive but it's never anything as idiotic as the M3 guys were.

M3's are very nice cars but more and more I see the older ones driven by people who frankly shouldn't still have their licences.

Photo's will be uploaded the second I get them :)

• Like 1

I've just sold my Evo 5 circa 450bhp and used to get this all the time.... most annoying

Agreed but I do like the attention when people aren't trying to race me. Getting people who you wouldn't expect to like cars looking at it for ages and saying...nice Skyline, is always nicely surprising :)