• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TF2 Build Log "Shelly"

Andyking

So this thread hasn't been doing anything for a long while due to working offshore. Finally got home and around to cracking on with this.

Got the body painted. I HATE PAINTING! Absolute pain in the aft end!

Gave the bare chassis a run around and the motor is making a terrible noise in reverse so I'll have to have a look at that. Still have all the finishing touches on the body to do but shouldn't take to long.

Also thinking about putting the stock leafs back in as there is a lot of droop in the suspension. Will have to see how it sits with the body on first

Here's the body as it stands

COFRYqsl.jpg

G4wEpT0l.jpg

Only just seen this thread.

Ive had 3 tf2's lol, here is my advice to buddy.

Use the stock leafs, the red leafs are just to weak, fit the stock leafs and use it, after a few hours of run time they really start to sofen up ;)

This might be something you dont want to hear but you need to strip it back apart, and then rebuild it using good quality bearings, rcbitz sells a full bearing kit, trust me on this, the stock bearings are terrible, they will colapse very quickly and will then damage other parts of your pride and joy, gearbox or transfer box will be a pita to get bits for.

Bin the stock shafts and buy some proper steel punisher shafts or some junfac carbon steel jobs from fusion hobbies here in the uk ;)

35t motor is a perfect choice for the tf2's ratio and 2 speed box.

If you want more articulation, dont bother with 4 link upgrade with coil over shocks, just fit some shooter shackles instead, keeps it more scale looking.

These few extra upgrades will pretty much make it bomb proof, its a cracking truck.

Enjoy ;)

• Like 1

Only just seen this thread.

Ive had 3 tf2's lol, here is my advice to buddy.

Use the stock leafs, the red leafs are just to weak, fit the stock leafs and use it, after a few hours of run time they really start to sofen up ;)

This might be something you dont want to hear but you need to strip it back apart, and then rebuild it using good quality bearings, rcbitz sells a full bearing kit, trust me on this, the stock bearings are terrible, they will colapse very quickly and will then damage other parts of your pride and joy, gearbox or transfer box will be a pita to get bits for.

Bin the stock shafts and buy some proper steel punisher shafts or some junfac carbon steel jobs from fusion hobbies here in the uk ;)

35t motor is a perfect choice for the tf2's ratio and 2 speed box.

If you want more articulation, dont bother with 4 link upgrade with coil over shocks, just fit some shooter shackles instead, keeps it more scale looking.

These few extra upgrades will pretty much make it bomb proof, its a cracking truck.

Enjoy ;)

Cheers for the advice, I already purchased steel drive shafts as even in the garden the stock where rubbish.

What tooth pinion do you use? I'm running on a 15t and it is far to fast even on 1st gear. Been thinking about 55t motor.

I am certainly going to swap the leafs back, they are far to soft, the axle warp is crazy!

Articulation is fine right now so I don't think that's an issue. Just need to get cracking with finishing the body.

I use the stock pinion buddy, a 15 turn motor is far to fast for a tf2, its the motor you need to change. ;)

I found a 35t motor was just about right with the 2 speed, first gear it will be slow enough for some nice delicate rock crawling, but second gear i find pretty nippy for a scaler with a 35t motor fitted, go for a nice rebuilable motor as it will give more torque than a sealed can, the tamiya 35t motor is a good motor but does not like water or the slightest bit of mud, my last tamiya cr motor lasted all of 10 minuits lol.

Etroniks i found to be decent motors and there cheap enough if you can find one.

Yokomo kenjo drift motors are also a good choice, with having a 2 speed box a 55t may be ok if a little slow, first gear it may harldy move, maybe try a 45 turn if you cant find a 35t, i have never tried a 55t motor though in any of my tf2's so it may be ok, see if you can pick up a etronks 55t to try, there less than 20 so no great loss if its to slow for ya ;)

Edited by the watchman

I use the stock pinion buddy, a 15 turn motor is far to fast for a tf2, its the motor you need to change. ;)

I found a 35t motor was just about right with the 2 speed, first gear it will be slow enough for some nice delicate rock crawling, but second gear i find pretty nippy for a scaler with a 35t motor fitted, go for a nice rebuilable motor as it will give more torque than a sealed can, the tamiya 35t motor is a good motor but does not like water or the slightest bit of mud, my last tamiya cr motor lasted all of 10 minuits lol.

Etroniks i found to be decent motors and there cheap enough if you can find one.

Yokomo kenjo drift motors are also a good choice, with having a 2 speed box a 55t may be ok if a little slow, first gear it may harldy move, maybe try a 45 turn if you cant find a 35t, i have never tried a 55t motor though in any of my tf2's so it may be ok, see if you can pick up a etronks 55t to try, there less than 20 so no great loss if its to slow for ya ;)

By 15t I was referring to 15 tooth pinion, my fault 

I have a Holmes Hobbies 35t so i know they are proven reliable. Just seems a little bit fast to me. Do you know what the stock pinion is? I cant seem to find the stock one.

Ill have a play with the pinions to see if i can get it to my liking, if not I'll get the cheap HPI one for