• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

removing tyres from rims

sgevans23

Ok, I know this topic has probably been thrashed out a 1000 Times but I really would like to hear various options on the best and easiest way to remove tyres from rims.

Option 1.

Bake them in the oven as shown in some YouTube videos

I have tried this and apart from my wife freaking out about the smell it did work.

However I suffered blisters to my hands and it kind of warped my tyres a bit.

Option 2

Boiling the tyres.

I have not tried this but I hear it's not as good as baking them and you still end up burning yourself

Option 3

Soak them in acetone.

Again I have not tried this but after watching a few YouTube videos it looks like a good idea.

My concern is that if I have chrome plated rims, will acetone not remove the chrome?

Is it not better to painstakingly spot touch the rim with acetone whilst peeling off the tyre?

I stopped buying pre glued tyres awhile ago after I learned about the ballooning. If I could engineer a reinforced tyre I would be a millionaire

So when I bought the tyres separate I strapped them with plasterboard mesh tape and grey gaffa tape and after a few spins it split and the tyre started to balloon again Gggrrrrr

So my next question is what tape do I use to strap the tyres in future?

Many thanks for the advice

Cyronn

Buying new tyres is probably the best option but tyres that balloon are useless and if I am going to throw them in the bin I may as well try and salvage what I can but at the same time when I do invest in New tyres I want to know the strapping method is going to be the strongest and not fail again.

I understand duct tape is the sAme as grey gaffa tape and in my opinion not very good.

I heArd that KevlAr tape is supposed to be better but not tried it yet.

Would be keen to try a tried and tested fail proof method