• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AXN Floater Jet

This arrived this afternoon, going to build her up tonight for a potential maiden a little later in the week! I'll let you guys know how it goes.....:xd:

B8921BA3-D5B4-4CE3-B843-33F320F4F316_zps

She's built! :D

I had a couple of issues along the way; firstly, the pushrods for the ailerons a far too short. I read that this was the case however mine were soooo short they were unusable, so I'm making my own!

Secondly, for some reason the spar cover on one of the wings had been glued down at the factory, making it impossible to glue the carbon rod into it. I had to take a knife to it in the end which was far from ideal and mega untidy!

The rest of it went together an absolute dream but its now mega windy here so no running yet :(

Cool :) Didnt have any probs with mine apart from trying to thread the motor wires thru the tiny hole. What motor and esc did you go for? The ones it came with or did u get anything different?

Lights turned up for mine yesterday lol

glow_zps9448b3f9.jpg

What motor and esc did you go for? The ones it came with or did u get anything different?

I decided to start with the kit motor, ESC and servos. I've got a 30A ESC on the way which I'll swap out at some stage as it sounds like it needs a 3a BEC.

Anywho something exciting happened today.....SHE GOT MAIDENED! (For want of a better phrase) :D

Now I haven't flown a model aircraft for about 10 years and I was pretty apprehensive. On arrival at my chosen "airstrip" the wind was a little stronger than I expected, blowing over a tree line generating a fair amount of turbulence. I almost bottled it, but the forecast for the rest of the week is wet and windy here in London. First launch was a success and she remained airborne for about 20mins! I was over controlling a lot initially but calmed down and really got into my own little world.

After a couple of hairy moments in some challenging conditions I brought her in to land (albeit upside down) but in one piece!

THAT WAS THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD WITH AN RC IN A VERY LONG TIME! I'm hooked and can't wait to go again! :lol:

Ideal  :thumbsup: I put a 30a in mine and didnt use a BEC, seams fine. It can handle a fair bit of wind to be honest, will fly the AXN in winds i wouldnt fly anything else.
I doubt it will be long until you want another flying machine haha?  

Yup, already craving something else! :xd: I'm going to try and stay sensible for the time being, the AXN seems to be a pretty solid platform to learn on so I'll use it to cut my teeth on before I try anything too ambitious.

Have you flown since fitting the lights? How did they perform?

Yeh, flown it a couple of times in the dark. Hard to get a video as it just comes out as a blur! With different colour lights top and bottom its easy to fly it at night. Will try and get a better one but you get the idea!

That looks brilliant! Reports of UFO sightings are going to increase tenfold in your area :lol: looks pretty effective.

Had my second flight today, it was a great success! I took the time to get it all nicely trimmed out and now she flies like a dream. The first thing I did when I got home was order another battery, one 2200 just ain't enough! Also ordered the 3mm prop adaptor.

The lights where just a bit of fun, ticked that box now haha.
Yeh one battery just isn't enough, think i have six as they fit in the quad as well.  The prop adapter is good. Mines been on since i got it without any problems. 

• 4 weeks later...

So after almost a month of not flying her, today I gave the AXN a bit of TLC. I finally swapped out the stock ESC for a HK 30a with 3a BEC and fitted the new prop adapter.

It's been a touch windy today but I couldn't resist doing all that work without giving her a flight so I did exactly that! Put 2 packs through her at the local playing fields and absolutely loved it.

I've been watching a few lessons on YouTube and today pulled my first loops and rolls :D she's an absolute joy to throw around the sky and my confidence really is on the up.

I read on the Rc Groups thread that a lot of guys are swapping out the stock prop for a 6x4, anybody done this?

Great, i have really got into flying. Just received a Glider in the post this morning :)
Not tried a different prop. I have the Turnigy 2200kv motor on it with standard prop and it just screams along. 

This or the HK Phoenix 1600?

What do you want from it? Flown before or first plane?

AXN is better starter plane, more fun, easier to throw around.

Phoenix is more like a real glider and you need a bit more skill to get the best of it.

I would say try the AXN. You can calmly float about or buzz around at full noise. I use mine alot with a gopro on and it still flys great with the extra weight. It will still loop, do slow rolls, fly inverted etc. If you get bored of it, chop the wingtips off.
Loads of Videos on youtube if you want to check them out.

Here is the motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12919__D2826_6_2200kv_Outrunner_Motor.html

I just got the Phoenix 2000 from Hobbyking. Nice Glider and it has a moulded fuse, great value for money.

IMAG6080_zpsf30a78df.jpg

If i remember correctly the supplied metal mount with the motor was too long. You could prob file it down or cut the black plastic. I made one from plywood, screwed it through the AXN plastic mount with long screws and some hot glue for safe measure. Then screwed the motor to the mount. Its been on it since i got it and its been flown alot.

Find pretty much anything you need to know here

Edited by RCMonkee

• 1 year later...

Flew my AXN today for the first time in over a year. Flew perfectly for a good 20 mins then disaster stuck!

The black peg-type thing that holds the front of the canopy down came away from the fuselage, causing the canopy itself to overcome the elastic band and blow back through the prop. This destroyed both the prop and the canopy and caused the battery to pop out and hang out by it's wires! I still just about had enough control to glide away from the woods it was over before the lipo finally disconnected and I lost control of the AXN :( 

Surprisingly the aircraft itself is OK - after shedding most of it's weight she floated down and belly-flopped into the field. The lipo's knackered however after falling from such a height and although it charged up okay, I just don't trust it as it's no longer straight and I can see some damage to a couple of the cells.

I've ordered a new prop - gone for a 6x5 for some decent performance and i've also ordered a new 2200 3s lipo. The canopy's only stocked in the international warehouse so i ordered 2 but could take a while!

Still enjoyed it, such a pleasure to fly!

On 16/08/2016 at 18:03, James1986 said:

Flew my AXN today for the first time in over a year. Flew perfectly for a good 20 mins then disaster stuck!

The black peg-type thing that holds the front of the canopy down came away from the fuselage, causing the canopy itself to overcome the elastic band and blow back through the prop. This destroyed both the prop and the canopy and caused the battery to pop out and hang out by it's wires! I still just about had enough control to glide away from the woods it was over before the lipo finally disconnected and I lost control of the AXN :( 

Surprisingly the aircraft itself is OK - after shedding most of it's weight she floated down and belly-flopped into the field. The lipo's knackered however after falling from such a height and although it charged up okay, I just don't trust it as it's no longer straight and I can see some damage to a couple of the cells.

I've ordered a new prop - gone for a 6x5 for some decent performance and i've also ordered a new 2200 3s lipo. The canopy's only stocked in the international warehouse so i ordered 2 but could take a while!

Still enjoyed it, such a pleasure to fly!

Agh bugger! At least its not a total loss. even when they look like they will never fly again, glue it together and its off! 
It will fly fine without the canopy, just use a velcro strap around to keep the battery in. Or you can make one from a Plastic bottle.

• 5 months later...
On 1/15/2015 at 09:13, RCMonkee said:

I would say try the AXN. You can calmly float about or buzz around at full noise. I use mine alot with a gopro on and it still flys great with the extra weight. It will still loop, do slow rolls, fly inverted etc. If you get bored of it, chop the wingtips off.
Loads of Videos on youtube if you want to check them out.

Here is the motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12919__D2826_6_2200kv_Outrunner_Motor.html

I just got the Phoenix 2000 from Hobbyking. Nice Glider and it has a moulded fuse, great value for money.

IMAG6080_zpsf30a78df.jpg

Is the Phoenix still flying? How are you finding it?

A couple of heavy landings smashed the front bulkhead on mine but I have a new fuse and motor waiting to be put together. The Phoenix's are such nice planes to fly, they slope well, can get some speed up or float around as a stable fpv platform. Me and a buddy were trying the dynamic soaring thing near his place with ours but I'll stick to the more mundane flights for now.

On 01/02/2017 at 02:46, Smoothybb said:

Is the Phoenix still flying? How are you finding it?

A couple of heavy landings smashed the front bulkhead on mine but I have a new fuse and motor waiting to be put together. The Phoenix's are such nice planes to fly, they slope well, can get some speed up or float around as a stable fpv platform. Me and a buddy were trying the dynamic soaring thing near his place with ours but I'll stick to the more mundane flights for now.

Yeh its still going. It is a great value model. I was thinking of getting another one. I had a mid air collision with a combat wing and it ripped the wing in half. I repaired it but could do with a new wing. The wing is nearly as much as the whole model with shipping! i got a glider bag from hobbyking for it, makes it much easier to transport up the slope.

On 2/2/2017 at 09:49, RCMonkee said:

Yeh its still going. It is a great value model. I was thinking of getting another one. I had a mid air collision with a combat wing and it ripped the wing in half. I repaired it but could do with a new wing. The wing is nearly as much as the whole model with shipping! i got a glider bag from hobbyking for it, makes it much easier to transport up the slope.

Is the bag the black one with the three straps? I got one of those for the bix but the P2K fits nicely, like you say. I'll probably grab another when the P2K is flyable.

That video made me laugh (sorry), I have one very similar (other than scenery, pov and everything else) from my bix. My mates P2K was a gonna, nice planes, not the strongest of wings! The bix shook a bit and then settled down for an easy landing. 1hr we spent hacking through thorn bushes to rescue his fpv gear, the bix had a dent in the wing!

• 2 weeks later...