• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Entry RC 4WD

McAndy

I had the Carnage before the Blitz, and I have to say it was a very good starter car. The FTX range is perfect for less experienced RCers like you. Relativley durable, and when they break, the parts are stupid cheap. The brushed versions aren't the fastest cars, but are still very fun, even for the professionals! The Vantage has better handling, but the Carnage is better off road. However they are the exact same design, so the choice is yours. Only thing I could recommend is a better charger and battery (Something like this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-3300mah-7.2v-sport-stick-pack/rc-car-products/376164). Go for the Vantage or Carnage, and have fun!

I had the Carnage before the Blitz, and I have to say it was a very good starter car. The FTX range is perfect for less experienced RCers like you. Relativley durable, and when they break, the parts are stupid cheap. The brushed versions aren't the fastest cars, but are still very fun, even for the professionals! The Vantage has better handling, but the Carnage is better off road. However they are the exact same design, so the choice is yours. Only thing I could recommend is a better charger and battery (Something like this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-3300mah-7.2v-sport-stick-pack/rc-car-products/376164). Go for the Vantage or Carnage, and have fun!

Thanks for the reply. As for the battery option, you really got onto something I thought about after posting. 

So as for batteries.

the 1800mAh, how much or how little run time could we get and the same goes for the 3300mAh

Also as this is about fun for me at the same time and my son cutting his teeth, I dont want him to be flat and disheartened after a battery running for 3 mins before running out so could I reasonably expect a longer run time from a 2 wheel drive model?

If you get a decent charger/discharger you'll get plenty more than 3 minutes run time from 1800mah. 

I love my Carnage, it's not the best RC ever but it's made me smile, grin and hoot with laughter on more than a few occasions  :yes:

With the stock electrics and the 1800mAh pack it comes with you'll be looking at around 8-10 mins at the top end if its properly charged. The problem is that trickle charger supplied will need another 6-10 hours to charge it up again.

A better charger could easily top it up in an hour, and also handle bigger packs. You can get a decent NiMH fast charger very cheaply, and better NiMH cells too - ones with 2 or 3 times the stock packs size.

But personally I'd suggest getting a lipo charge and a big lipo. I've got a 6000mah one from Hobbyking was very cheap but in a brushed Vantage is going to give you over 30 mins running.