• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

duel lipo question

boffy999

I did read the thread and I read the section where you started to get very irate at Noj just because he was telling you that you were wrong.

Now reading what was put, if you are to give bad advice about one of these packs and someone hurts themselves because of it would you personally feel responsible?  I know I would. Which is why Noj stepped in as he was a huge amount of experience with electric RC's and him trying to explain the dangers of running a pack that could go below low voltage before the other due to difference in rating is something that shouldn't be advised I think was justified he stepped in the way he did.

Not to make you look stupid but to make sure the OP didn't read what you put as fact and go with it as he could hurt himself or others. 

It's when you started arguing and insulting him where thing's got bad, you are being far too sensitive.

Edited by Feedtheinferno
  • Like 2

two battery packs should be MATCHED !!!! 

what this means is you are best not use a nanotech 3s battery and a overlander 3s battery both with a 2200mah capacity.

we run matched cells for a reason, there is less chance of wild differing between the way the pack was made and the materials used.

for double MAH but the same voltage both battery POS should be joined together and both battery NEG joined together.

the voltage will stay the same but the capacity will double.

laying batterys down 

battery 1 you will leave, battery two you will join the POS lead from battery two and connect it with NEG lead on battery 1

you will now have 1 pos thats on battery one and a neg lead on battery two, in this layout you double your VOLTAGE

BUT your capacity stays the same. 

racers run matched cell packs, for much the same reason, they will be the same near enough.

same maker roughly same voltage and mah,

giving that YOU MUST ensure both batterys are the SAME C rate to.

Mess up you fry your electrics, risk non matched batterys your playing with a firestick,

just how long before it burns you ( your truck/car/buggy) is anyones guess

Not to make you look stupid but to make sure the OP didn't read what you put as fact and go with it as he could hurt himself or others. 

That is the point I was trying to put across - that it could be done with suitable safeguards but, to the inexperienced, it could be hazardous - and, in asking the question in the first place, the implication was that the Op was inexperienced.  I had thought that this might provide an opportunity for both parties to retire with honour, but seemingly not........

Personally, I find a good "slanging match" quite entertaining, but I'm not sure it helps novices on here genuinely looking for guidance and, certainly, resorting to name calling does nothing to enhance credibility.

Where's yer proof noj? Giving it all shouty no's

It is fine if both packs are around he same age amongst other things.

To clarify, as i cba to read all the thread, Using a lower MAH pack with a higher MAH pack will see that the lower one discharges to the cut off point before the other.

Why? Because when the lower pack's Volts get to the threshold, The other larger pack will still have higher volts due to the higher MAH at this point, which will throw your ESC's LVC off as it cant tell exactly which battery the voltage is coming from.

For example, and im pulling these numbers out of thin air.

Battery 1: 3.2v  -3.2v

Battery 2: 3.8v - 3.8v

Adding these voltages up gives us a reading of 14V, now the norm for cut-off is 3.2v (usually) which is 12.8v, so if we ran this combo down from 14v to 12.8v, the cells in the lower pack would then be beyond the 3.2v cut-off and risk damaging the pack beyond use.

This is why you dont mix different MAH ratings on lipo's.

Somebody else probably already pointed this out but i cba to read through all the tripe.

I emphasize the word RISK, if you know what your doing and know when to stop using the packs yourself, then by all means go ahead. But read up a bit on it before you delve deeper into the world of lipos.

Edited by Highlander

Yeah the bitch thing probably was a bit ott but well I'm not a morning person, things get to me for a couple of hours. My main issue is that this is an problem that's easily resolved with a simple google search http://bit.ly/PUalwG . It's not like I haven't also been using lipos for years and I am one of those people that spends a lot of time reading up on things. Heli and ground guys have been using cells with different ratings for years.

The reason I suggested the op do some reading up on the matter was simply because that as I've said I wasn't going to blindly say yes you can and risk anything bad happening from what I said, I too would feel responsible.

I certainly wouldn't call bull**** about someone else's post without something to back it up though.

Anyway a read through of the first page of the google search above has all the answers to settle this. Apologies if I was a bit childish originally trying to get this across but it's just that it really does annoy me when people can't even be bothered to justify statements of fact.

Yeah, we can all be adults and you will get far more respect that way Ross good on you.

Much more importantly can I run a 100ml tank of diesel in parallel with a 100ml tank of petrol on my 5ive? 

Edited by Feedtheinferno