• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RX batteries

vibrating_cake

I'm new to all of this stuff, so yet again another question.

My AA battery pack in the nitro is, rubbish! 

After a few tanks of fuel even on my 2450mah PER CELL AA re-chargables they are duff.

I'm wanting to buy once, look after and forget about battery for the RX that will last and give me good control

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__23824___Turnigy_nano_tech_1700mAh_2S1P_20_40C_LiFePo4_Receiver_Pack.html

Are these suitable, 6.6v instead of the normal 6v NIMH (or the 1.2v per cell x4 which is 4.8v from the AA batteries)

The price seems right, and i have a charger that will charge them.

The LiFe packs are beastly, my servos feel like they're powered by a nuclear reactor! Just check the dimensions and make sure they fit your batt box. And as Sean said, you'll need a compatible charger and a lipo alarm would be handy too.

Sorry to jump in but are you sure that your AA cells are being fully charged using a decent charger? I used to get ages out of my 1600mah packs on my nitro models so not sure how you are running them out so fast. How many tanks are you getting out of a fully charged pack?

My aa batteries are on a delta peak charger which I've used for years they last hours on end but soon drop to the point where they can't get full lock when the car is stationary. They work fine when driving, I can still lock all 4 wheels on the brakes but they are obviously effecting performance. Especially with the lack of reverse, I can't rely on movement to get full lock

Why do you want to steer when the car is stationary? Not really needed unless you are running a crawler or scaler. As per a real 1:1 car, it's recommended to turn the steering whilst moving. If you are making the servos do a lot of strain (by expecting them to turn to full lock whilst stationary) then you will drain the battery faster as they are pulling more current.

On the cars in your profile - 2450mah cells should be more than adequate for a good day out, if used correctly and fully charged. Don't blame the cells - blame your driving :D

what about when you are near an obstacle and the only way around it is full lock.

or if you are off-road and you cant get over that twig turning right and you want to turn left to avoid it. you cant. or you are getting up a hill and you want to spin the car back down because it was that little bit too steep.

Not everyone runs on smooth packed surfaces, even in deep grass you may need a good ol' wiggle on the servo to get out of the thick stuff

My aa batteries are on a delta peak charger which I've used for years they last hours on end but soon drop to the point where they can't get full lock when the car is stationary. They work fine when driving, I can still lock all 4 wheels on the brakes but they are obviously effecting performance. Especially with the lack of reverse, I can't rely on movement to get full lock

I suspect that what you are seeing is not the AAs going flat, but rather settling back to their nominal 4.8v (1.2v per cell). When freshly charged, they are probably at about 5.5/5.8v but fairly quickly drop to their rated 4.8v for the majority of their discharge cycle before the voltage rapidly deteriorates when they are discharged. I suspect they would last for a full days outing at 4.8v with your set-up without any problems.

Whilst LiFe or LiPo can provide a solution, not all receivers and servos will tolerate the extra voltage (e.g the Tamco/Core/Pulse receivers are rated at 5.5v max but will just about tolerate 6v in use) without the added complication of some form of regulation and, of course, you need to protect them from over-discharge. Simplest solution is just to go for a 6v NiMh hump pack, which is a straight replacement physically for your 4 AA holder. If need be, carry a spare as well and you will be bored (or out of light) long before you run out of power!

The 6v pack will hold at least the "peak" level of your 4.8v pack throughout its full discharge cycle. May not last overall as long as your 4.8v (but you don't know how long they last anyway since you think they are flat when they are only just starting to discharge) as most 6v packs are about 1600mah, compared to your current 2450mah.

I had spares with me on Saturday if you had mentioned it, but you know where I am if you want to borrow a 6v pack to try and see how it goes on.