• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya DB-01RR Build/Ongoing Review

zanes

(Moved from the Reviews section as that seems just about dead!)

Right, as there's not a vast amount out there about the RR version of the DB-01 (probably due to it  being a limited release; there again aside from Oople, Ultimate Tamiya and a few forum threads there isn't much about the standard DB-01 either) I thought I'd jot a few notes down here and hope a search engine indexes it. Probably not a lot of interest to most people as the DB-01 is a little long in the tooth now, and the RR is a limited release.

A bit about me first; this is my 3rd kit (as per that thing over there <<-) after an RS4-2 as a kid, and an Axial Exo build last year. This will be filling the reliable basher spot; the RS4-2 has a worn out .15FE (remember them?) and isn't suitable for where I bash/live, and the Exo is fantastic but has a habit of lunching outer wheel bearings; the plans there are for another thread. There is also a small chance of the DB-01 indulging in a spot of club racing, if the mood ever takes me to get involved in the club scene. Initially I was leaning towards an XV-01 in rally trim as a third kit but fancied a go at the buggy scene, and this seemed to fit the bill nicely.

So, as a quick google will tell you, the DB-01RR is a "Race" version of the standard DB-01 with a few packaged hopups thrown in for a bargain price (as of the time of writing this the standard DB-01 is on Ebay for a smidgen under

Edited by zanes

A bodyshell needs to be ordered.

Spent a small amount of time on it tonight and got step one (basic chassis assembly) and one diff done.

So far things have mostly gone together well enough; as expected two of the motor mount screws (M3x23, an on size) couldn't be substituted as a 25mm was too long and a 20mm too short. As the mount is unlikely to come out again I don't mind the mix of heads (hex and cross).

The only real problem was with the diff screws (M2.5)- I'm not convinced the tamiya ones are great and some trouble was encountered getting my 1.5mm EDS driver to fit well enough and some screws were slightly rounded as a result. Again, I don't envisage opening the diffs much if at all so hopefully this is not a huge issue.

Pictures below are the chassis after step one.

Edited by zanes

facepalm_227785.jpg

Hereth begins todays lesson, ye Shortcourse fans....

So, why does no one else fit an SC8 ESC in the DB01? Because it doesn't effing fit, that's why!

Like a total prat, I never even thought that would be an issue (as the Exo, being a shortcourse has masses of room for the ESC) so tomorrow it's on the phone to Modelsport time to get a credit/return on the ESC and (as the Hobbyking combo I ordered has a very suspicious ESC in it) sort out the other mess! Measure twice, cut once, not order, realise you ordered the wrong thing, order a different ESC, then actually do a fit check... <

In other news, the build goes on. Second diff built and front and rear diff housings well on the way.

Edited by zanes

Lots of progress tonight; spent a good few hours on it and got to the stage of building the shocks.

No nasty surprises or particular difficulties tonight with it (aside from screwing on shock eyes which I always hate); a few minor mistakes which were purely done to me not being careful enough and getting similar parts mixed up. Lower arm mounting on the chassis is a little faffy and the CVDs were fiddly (first time I've ever built them)

So far I'm impressed, this kit outclasses the Exo in quality and the moving parts (esp. steering setup) have a simple goodness to them. The Exo seemed to overcomplicate a few things whereas this does more with less, and is all the better for it. The exception to this is the shock absorber design;  building them requires a kebab of orings/spacers/shims to be assembled. The Exo shocks leak fairly constantly but I strongly suspect these will be better- as they're a c.

Edited by zanes

Good progress these last few days; the build of the kit itself is very nearly there (just a few turnbuckles for the steering to go in and wheel mounts to fit). Electronics wise the ESC and motor are in, and hopefully today the Rx and servo (AAS645LMG) will arrive, along with tyres/wheels and paint. The shell is more of an issue; I was after the Baldre but MS have no stock and it's on backorder with their supplier. Have grabbed a Durga shell/wing off fleabay to tide me over, which should be here Friday.

Build wise nothing major to report- it all goes together very well. Shocks were a bit messy, but that's to be expected.

Edited by zanes

Reinforced parts are;

Chassis

Shock mount towers (front and rear)

Upper shock mounting balls and nuts

Lower shock mounting eyes

Lower suspension arms

As a note to anyone else who is building one, you want M3x2.5 grub screws for various bits (CVDs and motor pinion) rather than M3x3 listed in the standard DB-01 kit instructions.

Edited by zanes

Well, the kit itself is now together, along with electronics and wheels/tyres. Just needs the body painting (more about that in a mo) and she's ready for a blast in some better weather.

Wheels are Associated B44 front and back shod in Proline Dirt Hawg tyres. Radio is dealt with by a Futaba R2106GF with Alturn USA providing a Low Profile Servo (BB/MG, high speed) for the steering. As previously mentioned the ESC is a Hobbyking X-Car 100A driving a 6.5T X-Car motor.

The colour scheme I original had planned was a gold/white combination with a clear canopy. However, my partner suggested a blue scheme (to mirror the aluminium parts) with Gold accents, so there's a can of Pactra Metallic Blue along with backing colour and some Pactra black (for vents etc) on the way. Hopefully make a start this week on the shell.

Overall the build has gone pretty smoothly and I've been impressed with Tamiyas design/material choices.

Currently sitting as per the photo below.

Edited by zanes