• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DB01-RR Body

zanes

I'm currently thinking of buying a DB01 or DB01RR to complement the Exo as a bit of a fun basher.

The problem is I like the hop ups (and value) that the RR brings (esp. Slipper, gear diffs etc) but the lack of a shell bothers me, especially as it's quite a proprietary shell and the ebay lots I've found are literally just the shell, without the wing. Any ideas where I can find a complete "body set"?

Upgrading the diffs to 501 pulleys is cheaper than going to geared diffs but fixes the melting problem of the basic kits ones. Slipper is a must though

The stock DB01 diff/pulley has an annoying habit of melting when required to actually do some diff work. The little diff balls get warm and turn the plastic around them into sludge = no drive. Very common problem.

The Tamiya TRF501X used a similar sized diff pulley, but in a much better material. This doesn't melt as easily so the diffs are no longer a weak point.

One of the reasons for the geared diffs in the RR is that people lost faith in the standard models diffs.

Fit a slipper and fix the diffs and the DB01 series are probably the best offroad cars Tamiya have ever made. They are tough, easy to drive, handle well and don't require complex setting up. They aren't top level racers, but if you want a bashing buggy you can't get better.

Congrats. Now it is just waiting for it to arrive :-)

Then you also don't have to modify the chassis to make the Lipo's lie on the bottom of the chassis.

Thanks Si Coe.

Is there a big difference between the slipper and double slipper? Performance wise.