• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ftx vantage upgrades?

Hi guys. Im totally new to rc cars and just bought myself a ftx vantage. Getting on well with it and ordered myself a new tail as the stock one has broke already due to a flip. I was wandering if a 3s lipo battery was a good idea, and if so if there are other upgrades I should do. Any advice would be appreciated and please excuse my ignorance as like I said im totally knew to this. Thanks

I have had my Vantage for around 3 months now, and the first thing I did was strip down the diffs and rebuild them some decent gear diff grease. Helps prolong their life. I also added the anti roll bar kit which does make a difference but seems to introduce loads of understeer into the buggy for me. I also noticed when I first bought my Vantage that there was a bit of binding in the drivetrain. A quick strip down and setup of gear mesh and the addition of the clamped alloy wheel hexes has helped alot. The steering was also slightly sticking, so again a quick strip down and rebuild including some shaving off slight parts of plastic with a modelling knife has made a world of difference. So thats where I would start before buying anything major, you would be surprised at the difference it can make.

On top of those I have just yesterday added, Front and Rear Carbon Fibre shock towers, Carbon Fibre top deck, 3 Racing Sakura 4mm Blue alloy clamp type wheels hex adaptors, Tamiya DF03-MS wheels and a few other small bits and bobs.

I may add as soon as I removed the car from the box I knew the electronics were (no offence) but just rubbish. I have since replaced mines with a Spektrum DX2E radio set, Speed Passion Reventon R ESC and 5.5R motor along with a 4300 nimh battery pack (which I have stripped and soldered with some deans connections and deans battery bars. I also had to add a 4700uf power capacitor to the receiver because of browning out issues. But even with the huge 7000KV power of the motor the drivetrain seems to handle the power easilly with a down geared 19T pinion. I am intending on putting up a wee post on the Vantage owners page with pictures sometime late today if your interested. :)

Thanks

James

:)

Edited by insanejim69
  • Like 1