• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help with pc upgrade

aidensere07

yes it make no difference all the yellow wires(12volt) come from the same place on the psu board. i used to do the same with my dual gt7800s back in the day and had no issues if you are that worried run the pc on a gfx heavy game for a while and touch the wires to see if there getting hot. but i doubt it :)

Its not that simple. The card you are using needs a constant 30amp supply.

You have to work out what is on the same rail as your Molex conectors. Some cheaper PSU's will bundle them all together, As for the most part items on Molex connectors do not draw that much power, HDD's DVD drives.

This is why it is better to buy a power supply that has the necessary plugs on it, as you can be certain that each of those 6pins on the PSU will supply at least 40amps.

Now from what I can see of your PSU none of the MAX amps get near to the 30amp range. Without having a clear breakdown of the PSU I am unable to tell if all the molex connectors are using the same rail. If so then I doubt the PC will even start up. Or it will beep at you telling you there is not enough power for the GPU. And possibly causing the PSU to go kaboom, and thus I would advise against using that PSU. You should never have to use a molex connector. It is very rare for a GPU to come bundled with them anymore as new cards just arnt able to run off of a Molex adaptor.

I would advise you strongly to go and spend $40-50 on a half decent PSU. that has the right connections. If im not mistaken When I built Highlanders first PC the 600 watt Corsair PSU had plenty of punch and two 6pin PCIe cables.

these are the only Non branded PSU you should ever go for. And thats because they are built by Be Quite and rebranded by novatech. They are a good buy.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/nov-psg600.html

This is a non modular one, But is the entry level Performance PSU.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/cp-9020048-uk.html

These are also great PSU plenty of bang for buck. But if you ever want to go SLI it wont take it

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/p1-550s-xxb9.html

A little bit more than the other two but a big performance PSU. When tested it went right up to 900wats before it finaly shut down.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/cp-9020063-uk.html

Thanks cerbrus, think im going to go for the second one you linked me too, i have no plans to run sli as i have one pci slot on my motherboard so that's not a concern as yet.

thanks for the help

anything else i should know??

aiden

Thanks cerbrus, think im going to go for the second one you linked me too, i have no plans to run sli as i have one pci slot on my motherboard so that's not a concern as yet.

thanks for the help

anything else i should know??

aiden

No just as long as you mean PCIe and not PCI slot other wise you wont even be able to use the GPU lol.

With Nvidia cards its better to uninstall the driver Completly, then use CC cleaner. And then get the most up to date driver. Nvidia drivers can be a pain. Also what OS are you running?

Just an update, picked up a cx600m from maplins, and im please to announce i have everything up and running just fine. Many thanks to everyone that helped me sort this psu business out especially cerbrus for the recommendations and help provided