• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fuel and Oil Ratio Guide

Monstrous

Right everyone has differing opinions of what mixture is best for your engine, so here's a simple guide if you are unsure, these aren't the only mixtures you can use but are the most popular

25:1 - 200ml oil : 5 litres of fuel

Richer setting, best for breaking in an engine, but can be used for normal running, will keep your engine alive for years

32:1 - 150ml oil : 5 litres of fuel

Intermediate Setting, probably the most common amongst the everyday basher, slightly more lean than the 25:1 so will give you a bigger bang and some more rev's, but also has enough oil to keep your engine well lubricated and working smoothly

40:1 - 125ml oil : 5 litres of fuel

Leaner setting for higher performance and higher revs but lower oil content, it won't cause your engine to explode but it will have a shorter lifespan than one running at 25:1.

You don't have to stick to these mixture's, you can try in between ones such as 36:1 which is 140ml of oil to 5 litres of fuel etc. I wouldn't suggest going beyond 40:1 though as the low oil content could shorten your engine's lifespan considerably

Monstrous

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Found this V.helpful was a little confused as in my instructions it said use a 25:1 ratio - 5 litres fuel and 250ml oil ? So its only 200ml I should be using?

Gonna run it for the 1st time today, need to get the know how lol

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Can you use more Oil to make the Engine last longer?

Say 225 or 250ML to a Gallon of Fuel?

Or will this start killing Plugs?

I thought 25-1 was the Normal running about setting but seams you can go alot leaner,

All the FG and MCD i have seen round Deerdale Dont hangabout at all, And there running 25-1, So if they could go Richer to save it even more without killing Plugs it would be a Bonus,

:good:

Cheers,

Philip.

• 3 months later...

thanks for this info was just goin to put a thread askin this!

just bought my first 1/6 buggy but it had no book with it so is there any tunin tips or should i just run it as it is????

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

will the oil fuel mixture cause your car to run lean or rich cause i seem to be having problems with tuning my carb.

less oil equals more speed,but run the risk of seizure if not enough in petrol.try not to go beyond 20:1 mix

• 2 months later...

castrol xr77 £17.00 for 1 litre or castrol r2 racingbike 2 stroke 1 litre £15.00

That's expensive confused.gif

Castrol TTS £11.99

Just a word of warning here. XR77 is a fully synthetic oil where as TTS is a semi synthetic blend.

After having used a fully synthetic oil in your engine, never ever go back to using a mineral based oil even semi sythetic.

A sythetic oil creates a film of lubrication on the surfaces inside the engine that mineral oils cannot penetrate.

Going back to a mineral oil after using fully sythetic is like not using any oil at all and will kill your engine stone dead.

A cheaper oil than the XR77 but still fully sythetic would be the Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T http://www.castrolmoto.com/en/products/power1_racing_2t.php

Edited by Sleipnir

Just a word of warning here. XR77 is a fully synthetic oil where as TTS is a semi synthetic blend.

After having used a fully synthetic oil in your engine, never ever go back to using a mineral based oil even semi sythetic.

A sythetic oil creates a film of lubrication on the surfaces inside the engine that mineral oils cannot penetrate.

Going back to a mineral oil after using fully sythetic is like not using any oil at all and will kill your engine stone dead.

A cheaper oil than the XR77 but still fully sythetic would be the Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T http://www.castrolmoto.com/en/products/power1_racing_2t.php

According to Castrol, TTS is fully synthetic :confused:

Clicky

Xr77 is expensive,but a bottle will last ages unless you drink itrofl.gif It is highly recomended by engine builders and tuners,oil is a matter of

choice but I suppose it's like a good bottle of wine doesn't rip your guts out (or was that ring) if you can go for Xr 77.Quote off Elcon Models.

XR77.jpg

XR77 is the new high performance 2-stroke racing oil from Castrol.

It is the follow up on the well known A747 racing oil from Castrol.

High lubricity to prevent seizure in over-speed conditions - allows tuners to lean out their engines to a maximum.

Sustained engine power throughout the race.

Visible spark plug and piston crown deposits for fine race tuning - high levels of deposits and good tones giving excellent readability on all unleaded fuels.

Wet weather throttle lubrication - XR77 is formulated to prevent throttle slide sticking in wet conditions.

Ease of mixing with racing gasoline - and minimal effect on the octane rating of high performance fuels allowing maximisation of engine compression.

Delivered in a bottle of 1 Lite

• 1 month later...

hi,

this is my first real post so bear with me,

ive just bought a second hand marder 26cc as there is no way i could afford a new one. ive yet to find out what oil it has been running on but im hoping to use that castrol tts as halfords has 2litres of it for £11.99 now my main concern is (having read this post) is i dont yet know what oil it has been run with but i will find out. if its a mineral or semi synthetic will i be fine to use the tts? will i need to adjust the carb? should i be using standard unleaded or a higher octane fuel like super unleaded or v power? im a total newbie to the petrol scene so ive no idea. i do apologise if this has been covered already, im just getting to know my way about the forum.

many thanks

stef

Edited by stef1

Hiya Stef, welcome to the forum. smile.gif

If you're in doubt as to what type of oil it's been run on, then my advice is to avoid a fully synthetic oil. Your best off using a semi sytnthetic like the Castrol Actevo Xtra 2T. As far as choosing what petrol to use, the motor will run well on any standard pump fuel available from anywhere. The higher octane fuels and expensive racing fuels only provide a power increase to already heavily modified and stressed motors.

• Like 1

Hiya Stef, welcome to the forum. smile.gif

If you're in doubt as to what type of oil it's been run on, then my advice is to avoid a fully synthetic oil. Your best off using a semi sytnthetic like the Castrol Actevo Xtra 2T. As far as choosing what petrol to use, the motor will run well on any standard pump fuel available from anywhere. The higher octane fuels and expensive racing fuels only provide a power increase to already heavily modified and stressed motors.

thanks mate smile.gif

well that clears that issue up then, the actevo is a good bit cheaper than the tts so thats even better with my wallet!

cheers

stef

EDIT: just been down to halfords to look at oil, ive found the castrol 'actevo' but its not 'actevo xtra' doesnt say if its semi or fully synthetic either but i take it this is the right stuff

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_263595_langId_-1_categoryId_165484

many thanks

stef

Edited by stef1

evening all,

after a look on the castrol website, it says the actevo (in black bottle like i seen in halfords) is mineral oil and the actevo x-tra is in a grey bottle. i cant find anywhere that sells it so would i be able to use the fully synthetic stuff or even go for castrol power1 scooter part synthetic oil?

many thanks

stef

Edited by stef1