• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hawk's TA01 Drifter project

b_hawk111

So I have had my TA01 sat on the shelf for a while now, gathering Ideas and learning how these electric things work! (Im nitro at heart!)

this is how it came to me for a grand total of

I may be pointing out the obvious, but it looks like you still have a 3-step MSC in your car there. Do you have an ESC on order too? If not, might I suggest getting one? Drifting is all about controlling your car through balancing throttle and steering, and that will be hard if you only have three throttle settings available.

I may be pointing out the obvious, but it looks like you still have a 3-step MSC in your car there. Do you have an ESC on order too? If not, might I suggest getting one? Drifting is all about controlling your car through balancing throttle and steering, and that will be hard if you only have three throttle settings available.

dont worry thats on the modelsport order! 

when I first looked at it I was shocked at the simplicity of that speed controller, and when i first drove it was a little shocked at how 'industrial' it felt to drive! 

Good motor. Had a go with one last night and I like it. It did get quite hot but may have been down to me putting a lot of strain on it due to tight belts. With a heatsink it did run a little better so worth using one no matter how small.

I'm glad the motors good, I have seen a lot of people suggest it but not many people review it!

I shall stick with the small heat sink for now and see how it runs and if I have space for a bigger one :)

Another question is about pinions.

This is my first electric so I assume pinions work the same as clutch bells smaller for quicker acceleration and bigger for top speed?

Would I be better to stick with a standard size pinion but upgrade it to steel or go bigger or smaller?

I'll get round to doing some actual work on this soon just got to get the questions out the way first!

:)

The pinion in an electric does indeed follow the same principle as a clutch bell in a nitro regarding gear ratios.

I am new to drifting myself, so cannot comment on appropriate ratios, but I can confirm that a steel pinion is a very good idea. Tamiya's stock aluminium pinions are notoriously soft and wear quickly, especially with upgraded motors.

Talking of motors, I went for the same motor as you did, and it seems to perform very well. They have a good reputation amongst the scale crowd for being nice and torquey.

Edited by XV Pilot

Agreed, you will want more torque rather than speed to you wont need to worry too much about gearing.

Cool thanks for that, I Think as standard this comes with a 21t pinion, so a 19 or 20 will probably be alright for this I imagine so it gets a bit of acceleration and should be torquey enough from the motor, this is guess work on my part though :P 

one way front diff turned up today too so I think im going to start stripping it down tomorrow! 

Yeah I would go for the 19T would be a nice balance actually. I need to have a look at spur gears soon. Mine is a little wobbly. Will look forward to see how you get on. :)

• Like 1

will be a 19t then :P ill add that to the modelsport order list! im nearing some free delivery when i add fuel for my nitro and some extra tyres :P 

I'm looking forward to seeing how this gets on too! cant wait to see it going sideways, seeing my nitro drifting through the dirt at the track today has made me look forward to it more! 

• Like 1

Which tyres are you going for? And are you going for new wheels too? Interested to see what you go for in terms of bodyshell too. Have you had any thoughts?

To start with ill probably just get some of the cheap ansmann ones off modelsport and see how it goes :) 

and body shell ill be sticking with that viper one, just goign to strip the paint and redo it in classic viper black with white stripes :) I may build a light set for it too but will have to see about that :P just goign to get it drifting first, then sort out the asthetics :) 

Im around Stevenage drifting on Tuesday night. Got some spare black multispokes that I dont need, you can take em if ya want

that would he excellent thank you!

where abouts will you be drifting and what time?

might have to swing by and are what's going on :)

Most likely around 7/8pm with the Skidworks guys. They drift at the B&Q, ill drop you a pm tomorrow. :)

Cool, ah i was wondering for a good place to go drifting, its nice and smooth in there so sounds good!

I'll drop by on my way back from work!

gonna be another great drifter there bud. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I have stripped it right down today into all its components ready for cleaning :)

While I was there I locked the rear ball diff with some inner tube, and then built up the front one way diff, twice after I got it the wrong way round first time!

Found a couple of cracked parts that need replacing so I shall be adding them to the order too :P

I shall post up some photos a bit later once I get onto my laptop!

It all seems good so far though, should look much better once it's all clean!

yer they are filthy!

anyhoo pictures!

IMG_20130407_163331.jpg

IMG_20130407_170722.jpg

IMG_20130407_173448.jpg

IMG_20130407_180820.jpg

IMG_20130407_190230.jpg

So thats the diffs sorted, rear is locked and front is now one way, and the rest stripped down to be cleaned!

Also has anyone used these wheels?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-drift-tyre-on-9-spoke-wheel-black-chrome-/rc-car-products/39890

they have a good amount of offset and arnt bad looking or price, just wondering if they are any good at the actual drifting side of things!

Thanks

i used some pal and they are pretty much the same as the r2 hobbies cheapo tyres.

i found them ok pal

Cool thanks.

I imagine I will be mainly running on tarmac and concrete to start with, so will they be able to do it properly?

My other option is the fastrax ones on model sport, but they don't seem to have any offset which won't be as good.