• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

body shell paint ?

Scotty Rex X

Hi there,

quick question, do i buy proper model paint or will other rattle cans do just as well ??

Cheers

Alex

what do you mean proper? you need to use polycarbonate paint otherwise it will just flake and fall off tamiya are probably the best (come in rattle cans)

you can do a lot with basic paint

F3C62C44.jpg

DB9457F3.jpg

A136B3FE_zps2fc2b04e.jpg

Says must be underpinned with black, have you ever tried any other colors mate,was thinking orange, lol,

cheers for the response and that answers my question haha was only wondering if normal halfords rattle cans would cut it.

that paint looks impressive may try something like that myself

Cheers

halfords paint definately doesn't work i found out the hard way lol and i have tried other colours it just never came out that well tbh

BD5A9758.jpg

that has the same flake but it just doesn't show that well without a very dark colour behind it

Just need to prime it before hand

er.....

You paint the INSIDE of a lexan shell, so you don't prime it at all. You paint in reverse. The backing colour is the last to go on. If you paint the outside of the shell, it chips and flakes off when you crash. Painting the inside protects it.

Acrylic paint ( as in the halfords paint) isn't flexible enough and doesn't stick well enough to work. If you want your shell to last morethan a few sessions, it's worth spending the time and money to do it right

er.....

You paint the INSIDE of a lexan shell, so you don't prime it at all. You paint in reverse. The backing colour is the last to go on. If you paint the outside of the shell, it chips and flakes off when you crash. Painting the inside protects it.

Acrylic paint ( as in the halfords paint) isn't flexible enough and doesn't stick well enough to work. If you want your shell to last morethan a few sessions, it's worth spending the time and money to do it right

Ye prime it INSIDE with a clear primer so you can buy custom or halfords own paint so it sticks. Works well as I've done it.

Not only painted me shell but other things non rc related so i know what im talking about

Edited by shaunUK24

Ye prime it INSIDE with a clear primer so you can buy custom or halfords own paint so it sticks. Works well as I've done it.

Not only painted me shell but other things non rc related so i know what im talking about

You DONT prime a polycarbonate shell. You use poycarbonate paint. Acrylic paint doesn't work, double acrylic doesn't work, enamel doesn't work .

Once you've painted it back it with silver paint to bring the colour out more or back it with black if you want a flat or fluroessant finish.

polycarbonate paint is specifically designed for polycarbonate /lexan(same thing) as it has heat and flexability benefits.

There are clear plastic primers available, usually called 'adhesion promoters'. These are for automotive plastics (abs etc..) to help normal body primers like 2pack and wet on wet will stick.

Fact is though polycarbonate paint for polycarbonate. Simples.

Car paint is acrylic. I paint cars for a living

Rattle cans are acrylic. Cars are painted with water based paints, maybe HS if solid colour.

Edited by SirusDviruS

There are clear plastic primers available, usually called 'adhesion promoters'. These are for automotive plastics (abs etc..) to help normal body primers like 2pack and wet on wet will stick.

Fact is though polycarbonate paint for polycarbonate. Simples.

Rattle cans are acrylic. Cars are painted with water based paints, maybe HS if solid colour.

You are correct. Acrylic is still used for abs though. But correct never-the-less

Edited by 1981robbo