• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

I have a Lunchbox and I love it.

As I have posted previously, I bought my son one for xmas as a "cheap" first RC kit.

We enjoyed building that so ordered myself one (which took  while to arrive) and have since bought my daughter one.

I have since upgraded two of them and put LiPo in mine, and now goes stupid fast on just a sport tuned motor.

Yes, it can get expensive but I guess it can be as cheap as you like once its running.

In fact, my wife broached the subject of how much id spent on them since Christmas... The truth is about

I've just finished my LB.....have put on it every mod I could find on the internet.....pics here

- Alloy body mounts
- Front brace
- Wheelie bar brace
- Rear side braces
- 540 Sport Tuned Motor
- 3rd shock
- Kimborough Medium Sized servo saver
- Tamiya Short shock II kit
- CRP FX10 front end conversion
- Waterproofed internal electrics
- Centred Servo

I've got some allow rear hubs and front knuckle arms on order....if anyone has any other suggestions please shout.

Pics here:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202367

• 2 weeks later...

Love mi Lunchbox, second hand, fifth shock mod, CVA shocks on front...running a 27t silver can, just a bit down on power, so, which of the following would long term owners recommend:

Sport tuned

15t firebolt

5700kv brushless

Or something else

Cheers chaps :)

We have plenty of 'fast', just felt the LB could take a little more than the stock can. We run King Blackfoots on firebolts, makes for entertainment without complete uncontrollability...not sure I want an LB that can do over 30mph....lol

Add another Pumpkin owner to the list.

Wanted one ever since I was a kid, and just got one as a mid life crisis I think :)

Just building it was entertaining, and it does a brilliant job of jumping over the various kids toys littered around my lounge. Can't wait to take my boys down to the park with it later and let the chaos start.

Already ordered a couple of hop ups due to this forum. Suspect this could be an expensive hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bought a lunchbox off a mate yesterday and love it! a few questions where can i get the U brackets to fit other shocks and what tyres to people run?

Have you got the instructions?

If so, last page has details on the tamiya shock upgrade path, and i'm sure that details the bags the contain the parts needed to fit different shocks. Then its just a case of looking on ebay. Generally it looks like ~

The 15t, 2s set up is absolutely perfect for a LB...turns it to into a proper mirth machine..needs oil filled rear shocks though!

EBay search LB and the right bag will pop up...beware though, some folk try and flog on the u brackets individually for silly money...plenty of free manuals to download if you want specific part/bag numbers...

You can buy the shock mounts in pairs, might work out cheaper than buying the shaft bag which contains them. Here's the mounts (part no 9805082):

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/mobile_product_info.php?products_id=16028

Shaft bag (part no 9400296):

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/mobile_product_info.php?products_id=15602&osCsid=tg5rbojse0a8sgu2habto9k0v2

or seach ebay for the part numbers and you might find a better price. You'll need to account for postage costs with Goldstar.

The manual for the lunchbox can be downloaded from here:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58347.pdf

Ive just about finished my LB and have installed an FX10 double wishbone front end.....I cant quite get the spring / damping how I want it, which is firm but with a fast but not pingy (ok thats not a word but you know what I mean) rebound.

At the moment I've got some 1000# grade Tamiya Oil in the CVA shocks using the collar with one hole in, its firm-ish but the rebound is slow.

I need some help....

My understanding of these shocks is that the springs will determine stiffness and the damping of the rebound will be altered by the weight of the oil and the colar you insert into the shocks...ie one hole, two hole or three hole.

I use the collar with three holes to let the oil flow back more freely am I just reversing the effects of the heavier oil ?

I've not had a chance to take it out yet but I also think that using a heavier oil, i.e. slower damping, it should remove some of the inherrent bounciness and aid traction ?

Has anyone experimented with different oil weights and if so what were the results ?

Does anyone know if stiffer springs that will fit the CVA shocks ? 

I built a small jump last week and the front was bottoming out as I was hitting the ramp....hence trying to change this.