• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FPV / GoPro Copter

Nick

I'm wanting to build a helicopter (or quad / multi copter) for FPV and GoPro use, to get aerial shots.

I know these can be done really cheap but I'm wanting something quite professional and stable.

Honestly not sure where to start, if I ignore the FPV stuff for now and just build something that flys, that's a good start.

So being an absolute newb reborn into RC again... what do I need? :lol: What design is best for stability and control? Anyone have some good advice to lead me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Nick.

Ive been looking into this recently too.

Hobbkyking have some really nice frames ranging from around 250mm up to about 600mm

From what i have read, the bigger you go, the more stable they tend to be and will obviously lift more.

If you want to build from scratch, again from what i have read it actually looks quite complicated as far as leccys go.

The "brains" of the thing is the flight controller, a lot of people seem to use this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24723__Hobbyking_KK2_0_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board.html and it seems easy enough to set up.

Then you need the 4 motors and esc's. Esc's either wired up all in one at the battery ends or using one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23140__Hobby_King_Quadcopter_Power_Distribution_Board.html

The build itself doesnt seem to difficult, but the programming and soldering seems very fiddly and looks like it will take a while.

For now i have ordered a walkera ladybird to get using to flying a quad as they dont look particularly easy to fly, especially when setup by a noob lol

As i say though, ive only been looking into it for 3-4 days so i cant really say much more lol but nope it helps a bit.

This the new craze? I've had a frame sitting to one side since the end of the summer to try and build a quad copter with. I was intentionally going fpv first, but I have been told by others just build a basic copter to start to see if it suits you. Some people just cant get into it.

Frames aren't overly expensive, and if you do decide to head for a frame suited to mounting video/fpv gear too your best practicing with a cheap easily replaceable frame first.

Here you are mate take a look here. watch his vids,loads off info here.may help you decide.

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/TriV2/TriV2.html

Here is a return to home fuction OSD and a site that sells all fpv related items.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/cyclops-nova-osdmah-bug-fixed-p-402.html

Hope this helps. jabba.

heyup nick, How about autoquad 6, its pretty new to the market, has a lengthy calibration routine but has tyhe best stability at the moment (even better than DJI naza and wookong) gps waypoint capability, can also do point of interest orbit, and all the return to home stuff as well.

heres a quick video of full autonomous flight with p.o.i orbit shown

oh and just a sidenote, flying these isnt easy, orientation is a big copter killer, you might be better building a nice cheap quadcopter with a kk2.0 board from hobbyking and master that first, iv crashed my quad numerous times, you can see it in my multiwiicopter thread on here. im slowly getting there and im on the lookout for a nice fpv bundle to take the next step.

biggest question of all is how much do you want to spend?

Aiden

Edited by aidensere07
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the info guys. So I've done a bit of reading up, there is a lot to learn! Really enjoying learning all the new tech.

It does seem very wise to build a cheap one first, I've done some reasearch on Octocopters - which I think I prefer over quadcopters as they can carry more, more stable and safer should a propeller/motor die mid flight. I like the look of the DJI F550 frame at the moment.

But anyway... before I consider a pricey one, I need some help getting a Hobbyking one built up to practice with, the only thing I want to buy now which I can use in both is a good long range radio, I've heard 2.4ghz isn't the way forward for FPV because there is a lot of interference and the range isn't that great (<1km)? Is this true? What would people suggest radio wise on a good budget that will future proof me for a good build later on?

Nothing wrong with a 2.4ghz radio, just means you can only use 5.8ghz for video, thats the problem, 5.8ghz doesnt have much range and the signal doesnt go through trees and such very well, you can add some alternate antennas such as the cloverleaf which is the best rated in the fpv community at the moment.

you could use a 35mhz radio and then use 2.4ghz for video, this gives you increased range but it still wont be great, the law in the uk hammers us on the frequencies we can use for fpv video, with 1.2ghz and 900mhz been the best frequencies, sadly unavailable to us uk folk, 900mhz is what the mobile phone networks and police use so thats quite a big no.

for radio any of the good name radios spekky, jr, futaba should be fine, you could use a turnigy 9x if you like, but quality is a gamble, i bought one and it has a dodgy gimbal pot and is unusable as it stands.

if you need to know anything, give me a shout nick

Aiden

I'll probably go with Spektrum DX6i, though I need to check how many channels I'm likely to use when doing FPV - I would of thought 6 is enough!!

I've been really keen on the F550 by DJI, an Octo frame, it looks awesome and this is what I was going to base my "pro" build on, until I saw the H550 by Hobbyking, a convenient clone of the F550... at a silly price. :rolleyes: So I might as well just do it with that and I've killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

Just need to decide... do I go with integrated distribution board, or not?

Without: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24174__H550_V1_Glass_Fiber_Hexcopter_Frame_550mm.html

With: http://www.hobbyking...CB_Version.html

If it "limits" me later on, for example I can't wire everything in if I wanted to get a bit crazy with FPV/GPS, then I don't want to.

Thoughts? :)

I'll probably go with Spektrum DX6i, though I need to check how many channels I'm likely to use when doing FPV - I would of thought 6 is enough!!

I've been really keen on the F550 by DJI, an Octo frame, it looks awesome and this is what I was going to base my "pro" build on, until I saw the H550 by Hobbyking, a convenient clone of the F550... at a silly price. :rolleyes: So I might as well just do it with that and I've killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

Just need to decide... do I go with integrated distribution board, or not?

Without: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24174__H550_V1_Glass_Fiber_Hexcopter_Frame_550mm.html

With: http://www.hobbyking...CB_Version.html

If it "limits" me later on, for example I can't wire everything in if I wanted to get a bit crazy with FPV/GPS, then I don't want to.

Thoughts? :)

Dx6i should be fine, I flew mine with one, fpv flying tends to be done in normal mode with no autolevel etc on, there's 2 switchs on dx6 so that gives you 2 extra modes, say position hold and autolevel just in case, imho 6 is enough.

As for the frame yes get something like that for starting out, don't use it for a pro build the plastic does resonate and can cause problems for the gyros and accelerometers on the flight controller. You are likely to get quite a bit of jello on videos as well from the vibrations.

If money was no object is go for a cinestar or droidworx frame for a pro build.

If it had to be on a budget I'd either go flyduino frame with a gimbal or ecilop frame. The latter has a very nice gimbal system for the camera intergrated.

Plastics are fine for messing around but you will want something more sturdy when camera and good quality are involved.

The one with the distro board would be fine, there will be plenty of ways to add to it and with you Been brushless king I think you'll be ok with that side of things lol :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Edited by aidensere07