• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What motor to buy? Old one died :

Nobafett

I am a little advice on what motor to buy. My son has a CRT.5 which I converted to brushless. It was running an SC8 esc, Ezrun 4000KV motor and either a 2s or 3s lipo.

As my sons young, I fit bigger wheels/tyres so it was a little more capable at driving over things. It always seemed like the motor lacked torque and with a 14t pinion struggled to pull away on grass. I fitted a 11t pinion, which improved things drastically but after a fast bash session with a mate, the motor got very hot and stopped working. Iv taking it apart and its only fit for the bin.

I've been very impressed with my xerun 2200kv motor in my buggy and have been looking at the 3000kv as a nice in-between. Would that be suitable or should I be looking elsewhere.

Cheers, Nick.

Hi,

I also just bought my son a crt.5 which will be converted to brushless!

I`ve got a Tenshock SC411 4 pole motor for it which after some research seemed the best motor for it (nice and torquey)

not running yet so cant comment on performance

are there any weak points on the car that need upgrading ie plastic knuckles?

2200kv is plenty with the correct batteries and gearing, maybe try gearing up 1-2 teeth, rather than find a motor with a higher kv?

Sirius 2200kv

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/sirius-1515-motor-2200kv-4-pole-/rc-car-products/368585

or the 2650kv would be a nice step up, slightly shorter can but you aren't sacrificing torque too much for the added kv, it's probably what you are looking for:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/sirius-1512-motor-2650kv-4-pole-/rc-car-products/368584

Good motors, you can compare performance to Castle and they have a UK warranty. :good:

Hi,

I also just bought my son a crt.5 which will be converted to brushless!

I`ve got a Tenshock SC411 4 pole motor for it which after some research seemed the best motor for it (nice and torquey)

not running yet so cant comment on performance

are there any weak points on the car that need upgrading ie plastic knuckles?

Where did you get the tenshock motor from? Heard good things about them, not looking to spend too much though. With regards any weak points, the roller I bought all ready had several decent hop-ups, shocks, chassis braces, carbon towers, etc and I haven't had enough use of it to break anything yet. I would say that the knuckles do look a little weak though.

2200kv is plenty with the correct batteries and gearing, maybe try gearing up 1-2 teeth, rather than find a motor with a higher kv?

Sirius 2200kv

http://www.modelspor...products/368585

or the 2650kv would be a nice step up, slightly shorter can but you aren't sacrificing torque too much for the added kv, it's probably what you are looking for:

http://www.modelspor...products/368584

Good motors, you can compare performance to Castle and they have a UK warranty. :good:

I do like the look of the sirius motors a lot, just can't justify spending that much. :crybaby:

I know, but I only got into the hobby several months ago. I've bought 5 cars, motors, escs, batteries, chargers, shells, paint, tools, fuel, controllers and countless other gear. Got to stop spending somehow!!

Thanks, thats the site I was looking for. What KV did you go for?

4600kv running 2s only.....not sure on nanotechs or gensace batteries yet.....both seem good for the money

what wheels/tyres are you running?

Got these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-mounted-wheels-tyres-black-2-/rc-car-products/369427

They are quite big and chunky, same diameter as a 1/8 buggy wheel but wider. Makes the little cry.5 look like a small monster truck. Didn't want something quite that big but they seem to suit it quite well and are good for the boy as he has very little control and combined with the t-bones, it can drive over most things.

New motor delivered and fitted today. Haven't had chance to have a proper play due to the weather. First impressions though are very good. Plenty of torque, so was able to go back from 11t to 14t pinion. Very quick and wheelies on demand. Looking forward to thrashing it.