• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:5 nitro savvy conversion

timwright1991

Wow its been a while since I've been on here!

UPDATE TIME!

I have recently started looking at the conversion again because I've been busy moving to a new part of the country!

I have done a little redesign to make it look a little nicer (IMO) and drawings have been submitted for lasering!

Iv also removed a few bracing holes across the centre section to brace with a single chunky brace when I will drill the holes myself to suit...

Let me know some opinions :)

20g1pvc.jpg

• Like 1

I like this build, how much are we talking here and what else would I need?

Well I'm getting my TVPs done free but at normal cost for having the alloy TVPs made is about 80 with VAT. Then is 4WD is still wanted a 12" hardened shaft from the US was

Could it be done without the savage xxl and a peace symbol instead? (For me)

Yeah of course :)

When mine get delivered sometime in the next couple of weeks, ill put up some pics and some testing vids :)

Pester me on here once mine are well tested and ill draw you up some plans!

haha thanks Rob  :thumbsup:  Although I could just give it to the Science Dpt at school  :thumbsup:

I've been looking at some vids on Youtube and decided its far too easy to make a new engine mount for 2 nitros not to do it...

Seems as its had a decent amount of views on here...

Does anyone have a black head savage .21 engine or a Schumacher picco .28 Turbo engine?

Cheers Guys  :)

Just a heads up but you may wish to slightly redesign the chassis - There are no integral lines or stress relief structure to it.

Only going from the look of it but its no optimized for a weight to strength ratio and i personally would be concerned about its durability, I like what your attempting to do but from an engineering perspective it maybe advisable to change the design.

I like that your bringing products to the people and wish you the best in your venture :thumbsup:

Just a heads up but you may wish to slightly redesign the chassis - There are no integral lines or stress relief structure to it.

Only going from the look of it but its no optimized for a weight to strength ratio and i personally would be concerned about its durability, I like what your attempting to do but from an engineering perspective it maybe advisable to change the design.

I like that your bringing products to the people and wish you the best in your venture :thumbsup:

It was a tough call when I was designing, however, I decided to go for strength through a high grade ally and added thickness of ally I'm using. Oh and I'm fitting a whopping great right angle ally brace across the gap for added strength :)

Id rather it looks cool than go for outright strength through design  :thumbsup:

It was a tough call when I was designing, however, I decided to go for strength through a high grade ally and added thickness of ally I'm using. Oh and I'm fitting a whopping great right angle ally brace across the gap for added strength :)

Id rather it looks cool than go for outright strength through design  :thumbsup:

Fair enough, But just a fore warning sometimes a thicker / beefier design isn't always the best.

I hope it works out  for you :thumbsup:

What Software did you use to design it, if its a CAD software I could run it through a Dynamic simulation and let you know the outcome if you like?

I use something called 2D design because its what I use at school with my pupils and its the worlds simplest program  :xd:

I've had the engineering teacher at school cast his expert eye over it and he seemed pretty happy the grade ally and thickness was more than sufficient for the job in hand  :thumbsup:

I use something called 2D design because its what I use at school with my pupils and its the worlds simplest program  :xd:

I've had the engineering teacher at school cast his expert eye over it and he seemed pretty happy the grade ally and thickness was more than sufficient for the job in hand  :thumbsup:

Thats great!

I have never used that program before, however if you would like a second expert opinion I can run it through Dynamic simulation and I can input your grade of aluminium, thickness and let you know what the Outcome would be at any given speed or impact - it may help you determine any potential weak points.

Eye view is one thing but real testing is another :thumbsup:

I'm happy to help you out if you like.

Cheers

Ive already sent the design to my brother to simulate stresses for me because he works for BAE systems in their CAD department and is gonna do some tensile, compression and shear tests for me  :thumbsup:

The guys who are machining it for me are also gonna run some tests on the design too before machining  :thumbsup:

Can blag so much stuff from companies when working for a school  :xd:

Thanks for the offer though  :thumbsup:

Ive already sent the design to my brother to simulate stresses for me because he works for BAE systems in their CAD department and is gonna do some tensile, compression and shear tests for me  :thumbsup:

The guys who are machining it for me are also gonna run some tests on the design too before machining  :thumbsup:

Can blag so much stuff from companies when working for a school  :xd:

Thanks for the offer though  :thumbsup:

No problem, Just for the sake of interest (and since engineering is my interest) Would you be willing to post up the results I would really like to see what you come out with?

Again, Great to see more manufactures in the hobby, it shows the expansion of our community!

Some test results are in!

http://youtu.be/XKPQr6gxDnI

This is demoing the frame being held on 3 rear holes and the front being lifted with a force of 40kg.

The movement is only to show an exaggeration of which way it is being move, not the actual amount of movement.

Blue is good and shows little stress, and it rainbows up to black being bad, only having a pale green hint at the highest level of stress with a 40kg load is pretty good :xd:

So if my truck weighs in at 8kg, it could take a hit to the front with the force of around 5G without much to worry about  :thumbsup:

I think that's about right... :thumbsup:

Edited by timwright1991

Some test results are in!

http://youtu.be/XKPQr6gxDnI

This is demoing the frame being held on 3 rear holes and the front being lifted with a force of 40kg.

The movement is only to show an exaggeration of which way it is being move, not the actual amount of movement.

Blue is good and shows little stress, and it rainbows up to black being bad, only having a pale green hint at the highest level of stress with a 40kg load is pretty good :xd:

So if my truck weighs in at 8kg, it could take a hit to the front with the force of around 5G without much to worry about  :thumbsup:

I think that's about right... :thumbsup:

HI, Some good results at 40KG but I think your calculations are little understated

here is the Fomula Impact Force(F): 2 m v/t  (mass velocity time)

Basically this is what you need

Mass 5kg (lets say around 5kg for arguments sake)

Velocity around 60mph (average for 6S) converted into meters per second which is approximately 27M/S

Impact time Lets say around 0.1Seconds (although in most cases is probably less result into a higher energy impact)

Impact force is X as its unknown

Using the formula  of above we get:

2700Newton which is approximately 270KG thats your inertia force.

However as impact time is reduced you will see higher forces, a 0.05Sec impact (the sort of impact if you hit concrete flat on or a wall) would yeild a 5200newton (or 520KG) inertial force! Its always best to simulate worst case scenario in my opinion.

When stress testing I would highly recommend testing as a frontal impact and a secondary lateral impact.

Hope this helps you :thumbsup:

Edited by rcaddict

I dont think mine will be running anywhere near any concrete anyway to have to worry about a dead stop haha.

It aint gonna be running in close proximity to anything with the size of the thing  :xd:

Plus mine isnt going to get anywhere near 60mph, I'm sticking to old school nitro  :thumbsup: twin engine though in the future  :whistling:

Great calc btw  :thumbsup: