• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

17 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Hi guys, been a while since i posted in the thread, but might be making a return, so some questions on the Brushed vantage model if i may:

The project is a new speed runner, vantage with brushless conversion running 2.2 road wheels

So here goes....i plan on using 3660 3300kv motor, surpass 60amp esc and 3s lipo, i guess this will all fit in, lipo is fine

Is it worth getting 48DP 74t acetal spur and 26tooth pinion?

does the vantage handle and steer decent enough, i did find steering pretty good on the carnage

any idea of the kind of speed i might get with this set up? i would plan on upgrading esc and motor at later date if all goes well

I did by accident a "speed runner" out of the damaged Carnage you sold me a while ago, which I didn't like and corrected it.

But might be useful information for you.

60A ESC

4000KV motor

17T 32DP pinion

47T 32DP spur

large 5" wheels (outer diameter)

3S Lipo with 50C discharge

Details below in my Signature.

I found that with 32DP there is a bit more choice in regards to pinion teeth.

17/47 reflects the standard Vantage/Hooligan/etc setup.

The 5" wheels help for speed as well.

And you could increase the pinion teeth for some more speed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Hi guys, been a while since i posted in the thread, but might be making a return, so some questions on the Brushed vantage model if i may:

The project is a new speed runner, vantage with brushless conversion running 2.2 road wheels

So here goes....i plan on using 3660 3300kv motor, surpass 60amp esc and 3s lipo, i guess this will all fit in, lipo is fine

Is it worth getting 48DP 74t acetal spur and 26tooth pinion?

does the vantage handle and steer decent enough, i did find steering pretty good on the carnage

any idea of the kind of speed i might get with this set up? i would plan on upgrading esc and motor at later date if all goes well

Hi jack good to see you . 

I guess you know all about this  but incase you dont   try the calculator to check the pinion and spur gear.  

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-gear-calculator/

2 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi jack good to see you . 

I guess you know all about this  but incase you dont   try the calculator to check the pinion and spur gear.  

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-gear-calculator/

tried it but as i dont know the diff gear pinion and spur tooth count i tried guessing and came up with 371MPH..............pretty quick

• Haha 1

Just to update you on the bumper repair (I did last night 😥)... it held up, sort of. Perhaps I’m taking the word bashing too literally? The patch now has a small split after the car decided to do some pretty impressive cartwheels following an awkward landing, but is generally still in one piece. Saved me replacing the entire chassis again, so will likely take on this approach now as cheaper and quicker to repair.

On another note, I used a 3s lipo for the first time today having only used 2’s until now. Paired up with a hobby wing EZRun max 10 esc and 3300kv motor, 32DP 49t spur and 17t pinion - it didn’t disappoint. Insane speeds, to the point I could hardly use full throttle! I felt like a kid a Christmas, and the smile still hasn’t left my face. Too old for toys? Meh 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Just to update you on the bumper repair (I did last night 😥)... it held up, sort of. Perhaps I’m taking the word bashing too literally? The patch now has a small split after the car decided to do some pretty impressive cartwheels following an awkward landing, but is generally still in one piece. Saved me replacing the entire chassis again, so will likely take on this approach now as cheaper and quicker to repair.

On another note, I used a 3s lipo for the first time today having only used 2’s until now. Paired up with a hobby wing EZRun max 10 esc and 3300kv motor, 32DP 49t spur and 17t pinion - it didn’t disappoint. Insane speeds, to the point I could hardly use full throttle! I felt like a kid a Christmas, and the smile still hasn’t left my face. Too old for toys? Meh 

Hi where did you the supr gear from as in having probs with mine . 

And pity about the repair   as I was hoping it be a good one  due to having done the same thing .  

2 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi where did you the supr gear from as in having probs with mine . 

And pity about the repair   as I was hoping it be a good one  due to having done the same thing .  

I have an RW hardened Acetal from Modelsport  (currently sold out I’m afraid) and my son (due to lack of stock everywhere) has a hard steel spur 47t and 16t pinion from  eBay item no. 264098803251, which is decent but was pricy.

as for the patch repair, it’s nothing a bit of super glue won’t fix up 😬

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Got a similar setup. Just have a 4000KV motor and 10T pinion.

Insane power, maybe not speed but acceleration.

Today I tried to exchange my Rustler with my son's insane Carnage. Got 5 minutes, then he wanted his car back. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jens said:

Got a similar setup. Just have a 4000KV motor and 10T pinion.

Insane power, maybe not speed but acceleration.

Today I tried to exchange my Rustler with my son's insane Carnage. Got 5 minutes, then he wanted his car back. 

Yeaa we guessed as you brake them  lol 

• Haha 1

Well I made a balls up . In the excitment of buying pinions   I bought 3 (one has two in the packet ) 

So the pinions arrived   13 .14.15. An 15 . 

Well the 13 /14 wont fix unless I drill the center out (wrong shaft size ) 

One 15 teeth like jaws   toooooo big   right size shaft   tho .

Last one 15    fits     the pull off is way better   but  still wont work very well on grass.  Still chugging stuttering   then takes off like nutter . 

So I'm going to get the set up off 

MS  

RW Hardened Acetal FTX 49t 32DP Spur Gear - Vantage/ Carnage/ Banzai/ Hooligan/ Bugsta

32 DP Pinion 13 teeth 

Says there a match .. any one think I'm wrong or right plz say before I buy . Cheers 

18 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Well I made a balls up . In the excitment of buying pinions   I bought 3 (one has two in the packet ) 

Last one 15    fits     the pull off is way better   but  still wont work very well on grass.  Still chugging stuttering   then takes off like nutter . 

MS  

RW Hardened Acetal FTX 49t 32DP Spur Gear - Vantage/ Carnage/ Banzai/ Hooligan/ Bugsta

32 DP Pinion 13 teeth 

Says there a match .. any one think I'm wrong or right plz say before I buy . Cheers 

That’ll work well. So long as you match the pitch of the gears, the tooth count will match, but give different results depending on ratios you pick.

Sorry, just read that back and it makes little sense. Let me try again...

so long as you match the pitch on both the spur and pinion ie. 32DP, the gears will mesh. The amount of teeth you have will change the performance. More teeth on the pinion means more top speed and slower acceleration.

just make sure the shaft is 3.25mm on the pinion.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

MS  

32 DP Pinion 13 teeth 

Hi Iain,

there is one match that works and I am using:

Spur 32DP, 47T : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Carnage-Vantage-Hooligan-Bugsta-Banzai-32DP-Hard-Steel-Spur-Gear/264098795518?hash=item3d7d83cffe:g:dagAAOSwfplcO6pG

Pinion 32DP, 10T, 3.17mm shaft: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-10-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353153894972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

( Assuming that your motor has a 3.17mm shaft )

That might gear down your Carnage to reduce the cogging.

And being made of hardened steel there will be no more rounded spurs. The spur rather eats the stones.

No more worries afterwards.

I am still using my first pair, which I bought last year in August.

Edited by Jens
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

just make sure the shaft is 3.25mm on the pinion.

Are you sure about 3.25mm?

All mine (Carnage/Bugsta) are with 3.17mm.

But then it could be that FTX fitted different versions.

1 minute ago, Jens said:

Are you sure about 3.25mm?

All mine (Carnage/Bugsta) are with 3.17mm.

But then it could be that FTX fitted different versions.

Not sure actually, I’m sure you’re right. I based it on what’s stated on the Modelsport website. I basically copied what I had ordered and knew that was the one constant regardless of pitch.

It's indeed very confusing.

Firstly the pinion must match the shaft size.

Then there are different pitch sizes for the gears.

Some metric, some imperial. Some uncommon, some common.

I found that most choice is with 32DP.

Only once that is settled, the teeth can be chosen to get a good gear down ratio.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jens said:

Hi Iain,

there is one match that works and I am using:

Spur 32DP, 47T : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Carnage-Vantage-Hooligan-Bugsta-Banzai-32DP-Hard-Steel-Spur-Gear/264098795518?hash=item3d7d83cffe:g:dagAAOSwfplcO6pG

Pinion 32DP, 10T, 3.17mm shaft: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-10-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353153894972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

( Assuming that your motor has a 3.17mm shaft )

That might gear down your Carnage to reduce the cogging.

And being made of hardened steel there will be no more rounded spurs. The spur rather eats the stones.

No more worries afterwards.

I am still using my first pair, which I bought last year in August.

Have you tried upping the teeth on the pinion? You must have oodles of acceleration with that setup? Mind you, you do have a higher KV than I do, so this may effect the pick up? Even with the 17t on the pinion, mine will flip on its back if I’m not careful.

out of curiosity, have you done many other mods to yours to improve its strength? I’ve replaced a few parts as they’ve broken with alloy/carbon, but not always. I enjoy tinkering with them almost as much as I do driving them!

MakerDoIt 32P Hardened Pinion Gear Set 3.175 Hole 12T 13T 14T 15T 16T with Hex Key (Compatible with 0.8 Metric Pitch) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZX22F2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Fww5f6YZuII81

with this set, you can play around until you find a good speed/acceleration balance. There are lots like this on Amazon, and reasonably priced.

3 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

Hi, I just got a new brushless vantage and it flips a lot and I was going to get sway bars does anyone know if these come with bolts and fix plates and if they're worth it?

When I ordered mine, they came with everything required to install. They didn’t come with instructions though!

I also installed a wheelie bar as the car was constantly flipping backwards once I upgraded the motor etc. I needed to cut away the back of the body shell to allow for this.

both made a big overall difference and helped keep the car the right way up.

I would say well worth it 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

When I ordered mine, they came with everything required to install. They didn’t come with instructions though!

I also installed a wheelie bar as the car was constantly flipping backwards once I upgraded the motor etc. I needed to cut away the back of the body shell to allow for this.

both made a big overall difference and helped keep the car the right way up.

I would say well worth it 👍🏻

Cheers, can you fit the wheelie bar and the rear sway bar at the same time?

3 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

Cheers, can you fit the wheelie bar and the rear sway bar at the same time?

You can on the carnage. I believe the chassis are very ‘similar’, but couldn’t say for sure if you can on the vantage?

4 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

You can on the carnage. I believe the chassis are very ‘similar’, but couldn’t say for sure if you can on the vantage?

Okay cheers, do you know if the Hobbywing Max10 5400kv combo is any good because I was thinking it would be good to make it a bit faster ?

1 minute ago, oscart2005 said:

Okay cheers, do you know if the Hobbywing Max10 5400kv combo is any good because I was thinking it would be good to make it a bit faster ?

I did quite a bit of research into this before upgrading. My carnage has a hobby wing max 10 esc and 3300kv motor. With a 2s lipo the car is super quick and handles okay. With a 3s it’s just madness, and the car doesn’t handle at all well. Everything is pushed beyond comfort like the tyres, suspension and chassis etc. It is however great fun! I personally wouldn’t recommend getting a quicker motor, as mine does 50+ mph with the pinion:spur setup I have. I really don’t think the car could cope with more speed than this without substantial modifications.

19 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I did quite a bit of research into this before upgrading. My carnage has a hobby wing max 10 esc and 3300kv motor. With a 2s lipo the car is super quick and handles okay. With a 3s it’s just madness, and the car doesn’t handle at all well. Everything is pushed beyond comfort like the tyres, suspension and chassis etc. It is however great fun! I personally wouldn’t recommend getting a quicker motor, as mine does 50+ mph with the pinion:spur setup I have. I really don’t think the car could cope with more speed than this without substantial modifications.

Okay cheers for the help👍

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Have you tried upping the teeth on the pinion? You must have oodles of acceleration with that setup? Mind you, you do have a higher KV than I do, so this may effect the pick up? Even with the 17t on the pinion, mine will flip on its back if I’m not careful.

out of curiosity, have you done many other mods to yours to improve its strength? I’ve replaced a few parts as they’ve broken with alloy/carbon, but not always. I enjoy tinkering with them almost as much as I do driving them!

Hi I have 3300kv motor  I have the standard  spur gear   size iv just changed it to alloy   and 17t pinion and the car wont work on grass its chugging and splutters  till it bites then shoots off   why I'm going for  a lower pinion  iv got a 15 on there now  which has improved the pull off on flat road and a bit on grass (compared to the 17t ) so I'm guessing   11t .

Or swap the both for the two I said above.  . Which on modlesport say there compatible lol . .so im thinking the spur too big need to go down some teeth.  

As for changes on the carnage . I fitted the sway bar . An changed the front arms to alloy .which I think made the chassis snap when my daughter crashed it  as if been plastic the arms would have snapped I think. 

I changed the motor mount to the new one with the hole filled.  And if fitted a cover over the spur drive  to stop the crap going in with the spur gear . .