• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tim's NZXT build

TiM!

The intel retention ring is the one with the evenly spaced mounting holes, they are in the same place as the mounting pins are on the stock intel cooler.

You'll want to put the blue clips in the retention ring and make sure you put the 4 little brass nuts in the 1155/1156 holes in the plastic backplate.

I'm pretty sure that the screws that are in the same bag as the coloured plastic mounting clips are the ones you use to mount the waterblock (they should have a much bigger head than the other screws). The screws in the other bag are for mounting the radiator and fan.

Graphics card is in and all is well. :good:

Just got to email scan about my missing copy of dirt showdown :lol:

Had another look at the cooler today. I've worked out which plastic parts to use but then hit another problem right away.

I offered the back plate up to the spikes from my intel cooler and none of them line up. I'm 99% sure that even the 1156 holes won't fit. :/

It will fit TiM your just missing something lol one of the backplates you got should defo line up with the mobo holes and then its a case of adjusting the circle plate with screws to match.

It just doesn't seem to want to line up.

Last thing I want to do is pull the old cooler, then not be able to fit the new one. Cos then I'll have to poke around on my old laptop until Tuesday before I can get some more thermal paste to refit the old cooler.

It was probably like this...

oSl4W.jpg

Looks well dodgy at the back. Not even and the plastic gave way as I tightened the screws. Didn't spin all the way around though thankfully.

NDsTG.jpg

Looks fine here though.

I make a bit of a mess up in trying to install it with the text the right way up. Smudged the paste a bit. Temps are nice though, 38C on minecraft playing with everything pretty much maxxed.

Just praying to every god that might ever have existed that it doesn't leak though

Starting to realise now that this thing is LOUD.

I've got a 120mm front fan and a 140mm top fan I need replacing. I think I can also change the one on the antec?

Looking for as silent as possible, can't run this at night or it would bother people :lol:

I have both spectre pro's and Noctua NF-F12's, performance wise, no difference at all. Spectre pro's are actually quieter on 12v but i run all my fans at 40% so i dont hear either of them.

Downloaded my copy of Dirt showdown which took ages, but the joyride part is good fun. Got everything maxxed I think and I'm getting 40-50fps.

But on the campaign part with AI cars I struggle to get above 20fps with everything set low. :( Any ideas?

EDIT

Tweaked some more of the graphics options and I'm now getting 35-40fps with very little loss in quality :)

Edited by TiM!

Ok, so I've just overclocked to 4.20GHz on the CPU with the MSI OC genie on the motherboard.

Temps have gone up by 10C leaving my idle at 40C now, and WEI saw no improvement on the CPU rating, just on the RAM.

Worth keeping it set like this or not? :/