• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi starter box - British Standards ?

windy81

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Losi starter box be be recalled ?

• yes
    • no

Do you think the starter box supplied with the Losi 8ight 2.0 and 8ight T 2.0 is completely sub standard ?

I think it is.

What do you think >?

My experience is that I'd be better buying a monkey, feeding it nuts and making it spin a wheel rather than use this box, because after 3 litres of fuel I've used 4 belts and nearly worn out the rubber wheel, with the switch not contacting properly and not enough torque to spin the motor at TDC

This may not be so much of a PITA if i hadn't travelled 10 miles to my RC stomping ground on the beach to have the belt snap, yet again today. Not only that if I was stinking rich I could probably afford to pay

Edited by windy81

How you are getting on with the fastrax box? I'm having troubles with it (see post of a couple of days ago)

I just lined the pins up and got going. yes the wheel is a bit big and its a very tight fit in regards to hitting the chassis, but other than that it was a doddle.

well, in all fairness, a box should not need engine preheating, it should be made to deal with the stresses.

I'd prefer a cheaper package, without the box, and i am complaining because when you offer a product to the public it should be able to do its job, which in this case it clearly can't.

i have no sympathy in this regards, because its quite unfair of Losi to ship this complete waste of time box with their car.

You have to preheat new engines you would break any pull start or starter box without that. So it's actually you at fault.

• Like 2

Hi Windy

Don't suppose you could email/post me a pic could you please? I'm being a numpty and just can'y get either my Hyper of jyosho DX lined up on it. Many thanks

I just lined the pins up and got going. yes the wheel is a bit big and its a very tight fit in regards to hitting the chassis, but other than that it was a doddle.

After breaking the belt on my losi 8ight rtr when I first got it I started to wish id got something with a pull start. The shop owner then told me the engine was stuck on compression and would never turn over on the box like that when new, and that i had too free it off with a screwdriver. I then accepted it was my own fault but he gave me a new belt anyway, cos he's great. Now that Im getting on with the box and the car has been run in I personaly cant fault the box at all, it does EXACTLY what it needs too.

You have to preheat new engines you would break any pull start or starter box without that. So it's actually you at fault.

[edited for swearing.....which we would prefer you didn't.....]

the engine was broken in exactly 2 litres ago. 3 of the 4 belts have broken in normal use.

i,ve never broken a belt on my starter box (smd) and ive been using for 18 months and broke in 3 engines on it

and no one i go bashing with has ever snapped a belt either

Edited by dazj10

No point in contact British Standards unless the box is kitemarked to conform to a British Standard...and I don't think there even is one for starterboxes. They are only interested in stuff they have approved.

Only place you can go with that is to the makers of the box or the retailer that sold it to you. You would then be stuck with proving that the box was faulty and not incorrectly used. Which is a hard thing to do when parts like belts can just be referred to as 'consumables'. How do you actually demonstrate the belt failure. You would probably be asked to send the box back for them to look at....in their own time.

Good luck with that...

It's effectively a 'free' starterbox, as the cost of the package is really only reflected in the truck and radio gear. May have been better for you if they hadn't included it....but not everyone seems to be having problems with it.

• Like 1

Do you think the starter box supplied with the Losi 8ight 2.0 and 8ight T 2.0 is completely sub standard ?

I think it is.

What do you think >?

Is this a case of Losi trying to make a few bucks knowing the belts would snap ?

Or is it a case of really shoddy and stupid engineering ?

Or both ?

or is it simply a case of incorrect use

• Like 1

You posted a topic to which I have an opinion and because you don't like it you start swearing. Pathetic.

not really, like I said the engine was broken in already and I've still broken 3 belts.

the box should be able to turn the engine over from cold, then why accuse me not using something I know very well how to use.

incorrect use huh ? so i place the car, with the broken-in engine on the box, and push down, ziiiiiiiiip, belt breaks yet again.

So tell me, how is that incorrect use ?

Seriously I don't get it, and the box isn't free is it ? not when you have to buy the charging equipment and the batteries.

Read what I said before posting please.

thank you.

He got a point about the swearing tho.

When you push the car onto the box is it definatly turning over? Ive had experience myself of the car getting stuck on the pinch and its very frustrating. Even when you have broken it in it can still get stuck, you need the check that the flywheel moves freely before trying to start it. If it is turning over properly and the belts are breaking then there is a problem, its not anything to do with trading standards so im sure you can forget that line of enquiry because on the whole they are fine, just make sure you are using it correctly. As said, due to me being a starter I broke a belt myself, but once I knew why ive been fine ever since, the car has run through 5 litres of fuel and it still gets stuck every so often, and the starter box will never be expected to get it off pinch.

I have same losi package and suffered similar problems with snapping belts. Thoughts on the matter :

The belt is a weak point on the box , considering how tight the losi engines are when new and doesn't give much warning of packing in.

The 1st belt I burst also stripped the gearing The replacement which came was metal as apposed to plastic so maybe a bit of skimping on Losi's behalf there.

However , i do think overall its a great package for the money.

Top tips:

I always remove glow plug and turn over to remove afterrun oil , ensure box is fully charged , preheat engine ,slacken glow plug to start and a good press on glow stick for good contact on the wheel .... Simplze

Oh ....and always carry a spare belt

Upgrades are always expected and maybe a new box should be on your list , for me though I'm happy

He got a point about the swearing tho.

When you push the car onto the box is it definatly turning over? Ive had experience myself of the car getting stuck on the pinch and its very frustrating. Even when you have broken it in it can still get stuck, you need the check that the flywheel moves freely before trying to start it. If it is turning over properly and the belts are breaking then there is a problem, its not anything to do with trading standards so im sure you can forget that line of enquiry because on the whole they are fine, just make sure you are using it correctly. As said, due to me being a starter I broke a belt myself, but once I knew why ive been fine ever since, the car has run through 5 litres of fuel and it still gets stuck every so often, and the starter box will never be expected to get it off pinch.

Yep, all the time, I was freeing the flywheel from TDC every 5 minutes because the switch seems to be dodgey and not keeping the power on consistently. Seems its not just me then, because I've read many reports on other forums of the same thing.

Thank you for reading my posts properly btw, and having an opinion based on what is actually true.

If anyone wants the Losi Box and batteries... Let me know.

I have same losi package and suffered similar problems with snapping belts. Thoughts on the matter :

The belt is a weak point on the box , considering how tight the losi engines are when new and doesn't give much warning of packing in.

The 1st belt I burst also stripped the gearing The replacement which came was metal as apposed to plastic so maybe a bit of skimping on Losi's behalf there.

However , i do think overall its a great package for the money.

Top tips:

I always remove glow plug and turn over to remove afterrun oil , ensure box is fully charged , preheat engine ,slacken glow plug to start and a good press on glow stick for good contact on the wheel .... Simplze

Oh ....and always carry a spare belt

Upgrades are always expected and maybe a new box should be on your list , for me though I'm happy

preheating the engine at a bashing site simply isn't an option for me and it should't be required for a box to turn the engine over.

Also, loosening the plug i don't do because it's not good for the aluminium threads and I believe it's just a hack, a hack that i used only when it was absolutely tight at break-in.

Besides all these things, if they were required and absolutely necessary would be and should be mentioned in the manual, which it isn't.

About the swearing, bulls have them and its not a terribly bad word at all. It made me angry that his opinion was based on false assumptions.

If he only read what I said....

My opinion was based on fact and i stand by it. a quality engine, like the losi has, needs preheating otherwise it will snap belts and destroy pullstarts, 2l is not a lot of fuel and so the engine will still be very tight. I get the impression your in the wrong hobby mate, you can't start a topic and because you don't agree with someones response start mouthing off. this is a family forum. I hate to tell you but things like starters break take Baja's almost every one who has one will break multiple pullstarts, even ddm ones does that mean they should all be recalled NO. i'm not the only person to have the opinion your at fault, clearly you just want money back or to get something for free, it's people like you ruining this country. Just get on with it. Buy a new box if your that bothered.

Look at your own poll 2 say yes 6 say no. Can you not grow up and accept you may be wrong?

Edited by norcoforever

OK...I think this has run it's course....

The OP has made a point which most don't seem to agree with, and I don't think there is any point in carying this on. He is entitled to his view ... though the swearing is totally unnaceptable and unecessary ( read the site rules...you will find no part of farmyard animals exempted from the policy )....and I don't think that's going to change by heated discussion. He has had a bad experience with the Losi starterbox and that is that.

This is only going to go downhill....so lets just not go there.