• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anybody running a Vader XB

Spriggan

Sorry Boss, I had BSP's last one, no doubt he will be getting more in or they are the same price form Hong Kong. You can use 6S packs if you run them in parallel rather than in series as the stock wiring has them.

ie: You would need One plug on the wires from the ESC rather than Two, then either one battery can be connected to the lead or Two batteries can be hook together to feed 22.2v at the combined ampage of the batteries with this type of lead.

DSCF1068.jpg

Just looked at the add for the 150 pro, do you mean where it says 2-6s ? they mean from 2S to 6S batteries.

ps: I have a spare set of the Alloy stuff coming in if you do want anything.

Edited by Spriggan

Yea just looked on the box, your right about the 2-6s LOL!! Have you got the hex wheel hubs, I'll take a set from you so I can change wheels etc, haven't used my vader much as only had it 2 months and was off the road for 2 weeks while I sorted new ESC!!, yet to brake anything but dare say I will!!!

Yep I have a spare set of the HPI threaded adapters coming. They come without nuts so you can chose what type of nuts you want, from the cheep King Motors basic nuts to the supper posh expensive enclosed nut with dummy wheel nuts! I've just got to get my head around these new postal fees (they seem to have gone stupid!) and I'll let you have the price.

Don't give me grief but I work for Royal Mail LOLl!!!! I could bore you to tears with why the increase and why we have finally been able to bypass the regulator and start charging more and why other companies TNT etc want a piece of our pie but I'm sure you don't want to hear me go on and on!!!!!!!

Looking to get more top speed, took it out today for run with new ESC, this is its first proper run and although reasonably quick I hear mention of new gear, what size is best and best place to buy one, want more top end, lots of tourque but slow compared to a few of the Bajas I watched!!!

Had issues with the esc kept cutting in and stopping the car, one of my lipos had expanded, running on 2x 3s 11.1v 500mah 20-30c so I think they are running too hot, The motor seems to drain the batteries very quick!!!

Any suggestions? looking on hobbyking website at more than 40c batteries to play safe, might even do like some of you guys are doing and run it on 6500mah!!!!

Edited by Theboss1973

The stock Vader gears are the 10T that comes on it and the 11T, but 'Vader Guy' has some 12T & 13T coming in the order from the US, so we will see how it goes with them, I have an 11T coming to try that, but then I can also fit the slightly larger FTX wheels off the Punsher on the HPI hex's when they get here. The bigger wheels will give a bit more top speed and after today, I hope a bit more grip as well!

You may have a problem fitting the 6500mah packs in the holder, you'll have to double check the length. You may be able to drill more holes to extend the length of the holder to get them in, let us know how you get on, I need more batteries to get me through a race day, 3 pairs of the 5000's just arnt enough.

I hear what your saying!!, those nitro guys were all about "all we have to do is refill the tank and away we go again"!! until they managed to break their Bajas!!!, the more batteries the better I say!!

I can just get through the day so long as I get the batteries back on charge the minute I finish the race, but today I took the first set out of the car and put then next to the charger then was distracted to help someone else and forgot to put them on charge, so never had the batteries fully charged ready for when they were next needed. By the end of the day I had all 3 pairs on charge at the same time despratly hoping that 2 pair would be ready for the final. and they (and I) say racing is run!

Looking to get more top speed, took it out today for run with new ESC, this is its first proper run and although reasonably quick I hear mention of new gear, what size is best and best place to buy one, want more top end, lots of tourque but slow compared to a few of the Bajas I watched!!!

Had issues with the esc kept cutting in and stopping the car, one of my lipos had expanded, running on 2x 3s 11.1v 500mah 20-30c so I think they are running too hot, The motor seems to drain the batteries very quick!!!

Any suggestions? looking on hobbyking website at more than 40c batteries to play safe, might even do like some of you guys are doing and run it on 6500mah!!!!

I'm running mine on an 11T that i got from Modelsport and there is a considerable difference, i also have a 12 & 13T on the way from the states the only thing with them is that they're aluminiam so i'll have to see how that goes...

As for your batteries i'm having the same issues, i am running a pair of 3s 6500mah 25C, so i have just ordered a set of 8000mah 30C from hobbyking and see if that makes a diffence, and if it does i think i will double bank them just like Spriggan.

The ESC isn't overheating is it and the thermal protection kicking in is it?

I made the battery mounts bigger so they lock the batteries in place and gone and ordered a pair of the Turnigy nano-tech 8400mah 3S 40~80C from Hobbyking.

It will be interesting to see if a good quality battery really gives much better performance. I was going to get a set of 4, but was scared off by the price of them!

Edited by Spriggan

I'm running mine on an 11T that i got from Modelsport and there is a considerable difference, i also have a 12 & 13T on the way from the states the only thing with them is that they're aluminiam so i'll have to see how that goes...

As for your batteries i'm having the same issues, i am running a pair of 3s 6500mah 25C, so i have just ordered a set of 8000mah 30C from hobbyking and see if that makes a diffence, and if it does i think i will double bank them just like Spriggan.

Is it easy enough to change to 11t pinion, having never done it before? is there tutorial or videos available to show how its done?

Is it easy enough to change to 11t pinion, having never done it before? is there tutorial or videos available to show how its done?

Yep, buy the 11T pinon part No.MV27076. Remove the rear brace, undo the 4 screws that hold the gear cover on from underneath the car, remove the cover, undo the grub screw that holds the pinion on, slide off the pinion.

You will probably have to adjust he position of the motor by loosening the bolts that stand up around the motor mount and rotate the motor till the gear mesh is just nice with a little bit of 'play'. When right, tighten bolts and refit all the bolts and bits. Easy.

• Like 1

Your right i had no problems changing the motor pinion, the only thing i would say is that you need to use a stron grade of loctite/thread lock to hold it on.

Not sure thats its the thermal cut off kicking in, i think its more like the battery 2 of my packs that are on their way out, which sucks btw, because i've only had a few charges out of them!!!

i did go online and order some battery packs from hobby king but i'm petty sure i ordered the wrong ones; ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 3S1P

So i just went back online to order the "Spriggan specials" lol

Turnigy nano-tech 8400mah 3S 40~80C

Hopefully that will eliminate any cut outs or short running times + i find them cheaper that what im running with at the moment.

I found that if you hover over the product you want for long enough on hobby king a discount comes up! and that small discount meant i could order for just under a hundred quid meaning no tax!!! bonus :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found that if you hover over the product you want for long enough on hobby king a discount comes up! and that small discount meant i could order for just under a hundred quid meaning no tax!!! bonus :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found that as well, Not a bad discount either. 'a once only offer' just goes to show that you shouldn't rush into buying anything too quickly.

Edited by Spriggan

Only time will tell!

Hopefully I've got some footage of the Vader at the track on sunday, I had one of the lads filming but cant find the lead to upload the cams HD to the PC.

I lent my car to a friend this afternoon!

He hit a curb at full speed head on! OMG the front drive shaft was completly bent, the car shell fractured at the front and the motor was completly disloged and one of the battery cases smashed to smtherines with the battery holders dislodged too.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/16076-/

What a mess, but on the plus side none of the front running gear was damaged, an absolute miricle.

I did have some more pics but they are all over 2Mo ;(