• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help - Starter Box Issue

GregHurst

After some help, trying to start my Vapor pro with RB S5 engine using starter box , but it just doesn't seem to engage the flywheel enough. Don't think the starter wheel is over worn but it might be. But both engine, flywheel and starter box are second hand. Should the flywheel have teeth on the edge as it is quite smooth on mine and looks as if it might be worn. Any suggestions?

I have tried adjusting it, but can not get any better contact, fine lining it up just cant get it to lower enough or raise the starter wheel.

Any suggestions on a flywheel?

What size should the starter wheel be, ie its diameter so I can check if it is worn or not.

Ha ha I had the same problem, I lowered it that much I hit the drive belt with the top deck!!!!

I have no idea of the diameter for you box but obviously there must be a wear issue if you cant reach it very well.

Any Idea what make your starter box is? If not post a pic and I'm sure I/someone can tell you :)

As for the flywheel most Nitro engines are much the same besides some are 2 pin and some are 3 pin for the clutch shoes , I can recommend www.answer-rc.com or Apex models, fire them an e mail. Yours will probs be a 3 pin!

Answer RC defo stock them, and they look sexy! about 7 quid, you may wish to fire a set of new shoes in there a whilst you have the clutch apart. (age depending) they are about 8 quid for a set.

Edited by kingscott

Thanks for that, Not sure on the exact make of the starter box, but I will put a pic up if I can - Here it is.

I am also hitting the drive belt and it is at this point when I just start to get contact with the flywheel but not enough!

2011-11-14214214.jpg

Edited by GregHurst

Find a bigger flywheel mate, I've had the same trouble a couple of times, and each time had to get a flywheel with a bigger diameter, I got them from eBay seller ... Blacksmithproducts but cant remember which one I bought,

To be honest you best just ring Apex, modelsport or Answer-rc tomorrow!

I always use answer kit, its great quality and lasts. Answer RC are very helpful and will know exactly what you want. They are about 7 quid + post.

Not much is the simple answer! infact I'm sure you wont notice.

Humm 34mm is not a small one then, I would go with the 35mm flywheel.

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/ANSCS4001.html

Again please contact them before ordering just to be sure :)

Check this website is superb:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/clutch/clutches-index.html#flywheel size

Cheers

Adam