• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Associated RC12e vintage restoration

kingscott

Hi everyone.

I'm restoring my dads old RC12e from the mid 1970's like this below:

http://upload.wikime.../9/96/RC12E.jpg

RC12E.jpg

Its been over 15 years since I had any electric RC knowledge, it turns out I'm now a little in the dark ages. :(

Basically I have a rolling chassis in very good order. I was going to keep even the radio gear vintage but it turns out its rare as hell and expensive for new old stock. I think I would like to go down the brushless route but I'm totally confused with the whole brushless thing going on!

Can anyone recommend a nice brushless combo for a 1/12th scale car and what battery's do these things use??

I don't have a massive budget and I'm certainly not off racing with it but I would love to get it running and looking nice :)

what sort of cost am I looking at for a motor, ESC, battery and servo?

The original motor size is a 540?? least I think that's what they call it? (like a old tamiya kit)

even better if someone is selling some kit that would be great.

Any pointers and info would be super, does anyone else own one of these?

(and no its not for sale, sorry)

Many thanks

Adam

Edited by kingscott

Under the circumstances, I'd suggest a very mild brushless system - 13.5t or similar tops as thats a really old car! I've run my 1990 Parma Pro Panther with a 10.5t and it was frankly nuts on that.

These days 1/12ths normally run a single (1S) 3.7V lipo, but your car probably won't fit that. It was built for 6 or possibly 5 1.2V sub C NiCad's instead. The closest modern equivalents are NiMH's, but these to present problems as most are a bit fatter than the old NiCads, so might be a tight fit.

will do.

So what does all this 6000kv stuff mean? I understand the turns and windings on a motor? is this the power the motor can take? and the ESC are rater like 40amp 60 amp and so on?

I don't mind doing a mild retrofit to get the modern batts to fit, Ill take a google at the situation.

Unfortunately no. Not all esc's are 1S compatible. The problem is that the radio (which is powered by the esc, from the battery) runs on 6V. Esc's designed for 1S use have voltage boosters to help power the radio.

The 13T version of that system and a 5 cell NiMH pack would work well though.

Edited by Si Coe