• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

Took the firestorm flux out yesterday for the first time since i bought it secondhand after finding out it needed a new motor and esc, got to say it put a huge smile on my face and i am really happy with it now,I love this truck and its so much faster than the brushed version.

Thanks to all those who helped me out with my many questions :thumbsup:

I have been in contact with Modelsport and am probably going to return my touchscreen one.  It takes nearly twice as long to charge a nimh compared to my old non touch even at the same settings.  Had a few odd lipo errors too and it seems to lose it settings after each charge etc.

I've just phoned model sport and changed my order to the non touch screen model 80w 7a http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger-with-fan/rc-car-products/379060

They were very helpful and managed to change my order very quickly and issued my refund immediately.

Thanks jayuk for your feedback has prevented me future issues hopefully.

Took the firestorm flux out yesterday for the first time since i bought it secondhand after finding out it needed a new motor and esc, got to say it put a huge smile on my face and i am really happy with it now,I love this truck and its so much faster than the brushed version.Thanks to all those who helped me out with my many questions :thumbsup:

Happy to hear your enjoying your firestorm,mine is turning up today and I can't wait!

Happy to hear your enjoying your firestorm,mine is turning up today and I can't wait!

Thanks, I am sure you will love yours, i hope you have better look than i did when i took mine out the first time but now i couldnt be happier with it.

They really are fun trucks. Enjoy :yes:

I had a bash over at a skate park yesterday, took a hard landing (wheels down) and lost drive. I think the motor may have slipped on it's mounting as it managed to chew the very top of some spur teeth. After getting the mesh right, there's enough left on the spur to still have fun! :) So remember to loctite your motor mount screws and have a spare spur gear! How are you guys preventing the rear of the chassis from slapping the ground? I've got 40wt oil all round, but I dont want to run full preload as I reckon it will harm the handling of it. Perhaps change the mounting holes?

Edited by Mmmmays

Oh what happened to yours?

I bought a second hand one which i thought was a good deal but on its first run it became pretty obvious after just a min of running that either the motor or esc was junk so i had to bite the bullet and just replace both which has ended up costing as much as a new one would have.

Never mind tho i am happy now lol

Oh wow sorry to hear that mate I would of been pretty annoyed if that would have happened to me, let's hope my second hand firestorm will be okay!!

Its now arrived apparently and I'm stick at work! Then to move some washing and drying machine around for my dad before I get to look at my new toy! Then off to a ale festival later so looks like to tomorrow will be the real play day, I suppose I can get the batteries charged ready, will let you know how I get on.

Oh wow sorry to hear that mate I would of been pretty annoyed if that would have happened to me, let's hope my second hand firestorm will be okay!!

Its now arrived apparently and I'm stick at work! Then to move some washing and drying machine around for my dad before I get to look at my new toy! Then off to a ale festival later so looks like to tomorrow will be the real play day, I suppose I can get the batteries charged ready, will let you know how I get on.

Yeah i was pretty gutted tbh but never mind its all good now .All the best with your new toy mate :thumbsup:

I've just phoned model sport and changed my order to the non touch screen model 80w 7a http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger-with-fan/rc-car-products/379060

They were very helpful and managed to change my order very quickly and issued my refund immediately.

Thanks jayuk for your feedback has prevented me future issues hopefully.

and me cause i recommended the good one lol as you didn't believe me lol, jay's one of the problems i had seen.

I bought a second hand one which i thought was a good deal but on its first run it became pretty obvious after just a min of running that either the motor or esc was junk so i had to bite the bullet and just replace both which has ended up costing as much as a new one would have.

Never mind tho i am happy now lol

blimey how much did you spend on a combo?

IMG_20140516_165741_zps5e281cde.jpg

IMG_20140516_170053_zps46c93ff4.jpg

it looks like the shock oil (50 grade) hasnt been used worth filling the shocks with this?,also if u notice to the left there is a set of springs now im not sure if these are original or uprated ones? (it has some on already but covered by shock covers), also have some lithium grease(hoping this is for the car and wasnt for his personal use.....,a spare reciever(new),spare spur gear, i also have another gens ace battery the same as in the pic but its charging and has t bone front and rear bumpers fitted also.

it all seems in really good condition,i have to confess when i got it i removed it from the box plugged the battery in (the other is brand new)and had a little play quickly,wow its quick! and i dont think the battery was at full charge either,likes too wheelie! my dog never chases anything but he loves this thing running after it constantly!

im very happy with my purchase now just have to get used to the steering and braking and silly acceleration(used sticks last time i had rc).

i think the new battery is dead! any idea if i can save it?

may have a problem with the second battery! the charger is saying error and beeping away!

heres what i have the charger set at:

IMG_20140516_174824_zps305a2f19.jpg

and this is the error:

IMG_20140516_174839_zps4901d440.jpg

my extremly limited knowledge is telling me the pack is dead due to the voltage being run down too low,but this was brand new i had to put the cables in due to them being packaged up and was in a new box and so on.

after looking and testing with my other battery this looks like its only holding 2.27 volts when i plug my other in that i just charged its at just over 8.3-4 volts

should i move this elsewhere im starting to feel like im ruining the thread.

Edited by Mr_Ambrosius

50 is too thick for the fs they are light

ooh have you not read the first post of this thread which links to suitable combos for about 60 quid?

Yes i had a good look at that and searched the thread aswell to see what others are running  but decided to go for standard parts for now, i will be upgrading the brushed firestorm at some point though and will be using one of the cheaper combo's in that once i have had a chance to look into them more 

i think the new battery is dead! any idea if i can save it?

may have a problem with the second battery! the charger is saying error and beeping away!

heres what i have the charger set at:

IMG_20140516_174824_zps305a2f19.jpg

and this is the error:

IMG_20140516_174839_zps4901d440.jpg

my extremly limited knowledge is telling me the pack is dead due to the voltage being run down too low,but this was brand new i had to put the cables in due to them being packaged up and was in a new box and so on.

after looking and testing with my other battery this looks like its only holding 2.27 volts when i plug my other in that i just charged its at just over 8.3-4 volts

should i move this elsewhere im starting to feel like im ruining the thread.

is that 2.7v per cell or overall?

says C after it which may mean cell never used one of these chargers i'd wait for the overlander one to arrive. Did you use the battery or you trying to charge it from new?

so went out and had a little fun today with the firestorm,the battery lasted ages and it never got to the cut off point (i checked it was on and it was) felt like nearly an hour! what voltage should i have left in the battery when i go to put it on charge (as in the minium i can run it down before damage ocurs to the battery?i believe when i plugged it in it said 6.9.

so got out to the field and within about 1 minute i had a hoorendous high pitched grating noise,i removed the the cover for the engine and slipper clutch and was greeted by this!:

IMG_20140517_1818071_zps3a70ed0f.jpg

luckily i had a spare! the pinion was not in the middle so moved it so it was lined up nicely took it out again and within 2 minutes i heard the same noise! i opened her up and the pinion had moved and luckily only chewed a little of the outer cog but it was fine so i moved the pinion again and tightened her up and she was fine and havent had a problem since.

found a mound and a little structure to make a ramp and this happened:

also have alot of fail videos too!haha i can say one thing from todays driving and that this car really takes alot of beating and takes it very  well,im very impressed, i did some big fast jumps today and gave it a fai load of abuse and bar the earlier incident it didnt miss a beat very very happy with my firestorm. 

Edited by Mr_Ambrosius

I stripped a spur gear aswell on my first run no idea why lol never ha a problem since. And as for the vid the Firesotorm can take a fair bit more abuse than that ;)