• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

off road brushless

quackyduck-190

re:bullet st flux

and it looks to have a short wheel base. how does it handle?

Fine on 2 s no problem, but the wheelbase is a little nutty under 3s (more for speed runs and jumps)

Ref 2s/3s (in 1/10th scale)

basic rule of thumb, 4000 KV +- 400 ish Kv is good for 3s Anything over 4600kv is going to be suited to 2s (always read the tech specs first) If you go onto the hobbywing website all the info is on there mate :good:

does it have the same speed?

Speed depends on the motor. Put the same motor in each car, gear them the same and you'll get about the same top speed. Except the Slash needs to slow down more to turn.

Now if you are comparing out of the box motors - the Slash VXL has a 3500kV brushless, the SC10 a 3300kV. So pretty similar - a slight edge to the Slash but so minor as not to be worth considering. Both can run 3S - Traxxas make huge claims for the speeds of their VXL's on 3S, but you can do the same with a SC10 (or anything else for that matter).

If you are thinking the non-brushed versions then the SC10 has the better motor. It shouldn't be better (its a 17t whilst the Traxxas is a 12t) but Traxxas Titan motors are terrible whilst Reedy motors are great.

If you are thinking Firestorm, buy the brushed version and an Ezrun 8.5t system. Its cheaper than getting a Flux version and everything else is the same. The Ezrun can run 3S lipos (with the 8.5t motor not the 5.5t) and gets similar speeds to the Traxxas VXL's. And like the Traxxas (but unlike the Associated or HPI Flux) Ezruns are waterproofed - well splashproof at least. - useful in a truck that gets muddy.

Hi. I currently have a Tamiya Blackfoot Extreme but I want to go brushless. I rang the man at the shop I bought it from and he said 'don't put a brushless in 'cos you'll wreck the gearbox' so I find myself searching for a brushless offroader. I dont really mind whether 2 or 4 wheel drive but it does have to be able to keep up with a slash 4x4 and be compatible with 3s lipo out of the box. I'm not looking at spending over

Hi there, you cant go wrong with a traxxas of any kind, as for your blackfoot xtreme ive ran a 13t brushless in mine for a long time with no problems at all...

does run traxxas slash speeds. could it keep up with a slash?

Edited by quackyduck-190

Not really. The blackfoot is old, and can't cope with the newer motors that the slash can.

because of the blackfoots restricted gearing i dont think it will push more than 30-35mph but it would still have plenty of acceleration and torque.

• 7 months later...

firestorm because the slash isn't as strong until you get the slash ultimate which is about 200 more

people always say it but i never see it...

i have a standard brushed slash converted to brushless with castles sct kit and ive had some bad landings and flips and never broke anything yet, i was flying down badly tarmaced path at around 40mph thre other day and hit a pot hole sending my slash tumbling through the air it must have flipped around 15 times before coming to a stop and nothing was broke , ive had my son drive it fullspeed into a kerb before aswell

I would definately go Traxxas. I have a 1 16 e revo vxl. its so much fun, and brilliant value. i hardly ever come across a bad review for traxxas cars.

firestorm because the slash isn't as strong until you get the slash ultimate which is about 200 more

Do you have any experience with any of the cars, or any actual basis for this post?

There is a £90 difference between the Ultimate and RTR car, and the strength difference is onyl down to the alloy upgrade parts, of which some can be had cheaper anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

i have bought a slash 4x4. not the ultimate. am really pleased with it however, as it is second hand there are a few bits which need replacing but before i order them i want to know which grease is used on the pinion and spur gears for the rear diff. Is it lithium or silicon?

traxxas use lithium in the rear diff.

probably the front one to the cheap ******* lol

the rear diff beeing inside the transmission case like on the 2wd? most people stick 300-500k diff oil in them but it will slowly leak out, traxxas used to put diff oil in them at one time but a really light one and with it not beeing properly sealed it would leak out in a few runs so they switched to using lithium grease like what you should use on the transmission gears.