• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*Losi LST & XXL Owners Club*

dtokez

All correct, yes.

Have you got plugs? The motor will not connect to the ESC unless you re-plug the whole system, plus the battery side. As mentioned, I went with XT150's.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn

They will probably be fine. I went with the 150's simply because it was my first time with this sort of heavy duty project and wanted everything to match up Amps wise and the best I had available were 4mm bananas and XT60's.

I have only run my LST on 4S.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn
  • Like 1

Cool, I'll try the xt90 and see how they hold up! 

I'm tempted to get a 4S and one 5S and see how it goes. 

Thanks for all your help! Will keep everyone updated on my progress! 

Here you go.

I've also included a photo of how to modify the gear cover; holes drilled, rotation of etc. You need to space it, and the cover, away from the chassis with a stack of, in my case, three washers under each bolt because of the irregularities of the molding, otherwise, it will not sit vertically and/or will crack.

The space between the motor and the gear cover was taken up with some stick-on sponge foam and keeps the dirt out, the big stuff at least.

Battery tray sizing to follow.

Tom.

P1160460 35% cut jpeg.JPG

P1160459 35% cut jpeg.JPG

P1160440 25% cut jpeg.JPG

P1160451 30% cut jpeg.JPG

P1160433 25% cut jpeg.JPG

Edited by Tommygunn
  • Like 1

I forgot the Velcro straps.

Also, get one or two of THESE lipo alarms. They can be set for a range of trigger Voltages and also give a readout of total and individual cell Voltages.

I have one ziptied to the buckle side of my battery strap so that the balance lead can reach it.

Tom.

• Like 1

Too late!

I've put the order in! I'll probably get that on my next order! 

I've gone 5S, purely because the price wasn't much different plus I can always detune the motor from the esc. 

Also the esc should have a low voltage cut off!

I think I'm going to go for the Max8 esc and the hobbywing motor combo as its only another 30 quid, however the motor is rated to 6S where as the Gool is only rated to 21v.. Which is 5S.

Will probably decide today and pull the trigger! 

Almost did it last night, but couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to find my wallet! 

Ok finally got round to stripping the Losi down!! Looks soo bare without all the nitro bits and servos.

Also going to see if they can do something at work with my New Era Roll Bar..as that will no longer fit either! :(

My hobbywing motor and esc have been delivered to the local RM sorting office! So will pick that up tomorrow.

I've spoken to the guys at work, they are going to try and make the mount from @Tommygunn dimensions out of 3mm stainless steel! Will see how strong it is before I buy the alloy! 

My batteries are here now, so need to make the battery box for that, what mm alloy thickness should I buy? I take it 1mm is too thin, 2mm or 3mm? 

Then its just the delivery of my pinion gear, which is mid Oct and the final bit of my puzzle.

Not sure what or how to mount the New Era Roll Bar now, as there won't be any space for the battery!

On 9/9/2017 at 08:20, just rolling said:

Yeah, had mine in a vorza for prob 8 months doing crazy speeds on 6s, 70mph +, mostly just 4s now on a small track but always been great. The stock castle sidewinder 8 has been great and works on 5s where the hobbywing does not run on 5s with the lvc on, to be honest though i will prob just be running mine on a bigger 4s 

Just re-read this and soaked in the information regarding the LVC needing to be disabled when running 5S! Bit of a pain that! No, big deal...however that means I'll definitely need an LVC alarm. Might get a couple as could use one for my Carnage as well..hand to have a spare!

Cheers

40 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Just re-read this and soaked in the information regarding the LVC needing to be disabled when running 5S! Bit of a pain that! No, big deal...however that means I'll definitely need an LVC alarm. Might get a couple as could use one for my Carnage as well..hand to have a spare!

Cheers

My stock xxle is still a handful  on 5s, not tried it since i turned full power down to 80% which is prob just a touch more than 4s, hopefully the lvc works for you, never actually tried a one yet

58 minutes ago, just rolling said:

My stock xxle is still a handful  on 5s, not tried it since i turned full power down to 80% which is prob just a touch more than 4s, hopefully the lvc works for you, never actually tried a one yet

Its the same one Tommygunn mentioned...at £2.14 would be silly not to add it to the next order!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-lipo-voltage-checker-2s-8s.html

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Its the same one Tommygunn mentioned...at £2.14 would be silly not to add it to the next order!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-lipo-voltage-checker-2s-8s.html

Cool, bargain price, be handy  on most esc's as i think it's just the castle stuff that is ok on 5s with LVC activated

Soldered all my ends to xt90, not as tidy as I liked but will do! The 5s cables are so thick! 

Tested the esc and motor with a 3s battery and a 5s and worked a treat! Turned the punch down on the esc.

Don't have the option to drop the power to 80%, so will have to do that on the transmitter! 

But all in all,  very happy so far! 

I've got another pinion from another seller on eBay 26t as the other one was going to take 1 month to come! 

So just waiting for my motor mount from work and my sheet metal for my battery box! 

Thanks everyone so far for input! 

35 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Soldered all my ends to xt90, not as tidy as I liked but will do! The 5s cables are so thick! 

Tested the esc and motor with a 3s battery and a 5s and worked a treat! Turned the punch down on the esc.

Don't have the option to drop the power to 80%, so will have to do that on the transmitter! 

But all in all,  very happy so far! 

I've got another pinion from another seller on eBay 26t as the other one was going to take 1 month to come! 

So just waiting for my motor mount from work and my sheet metal for my battery box! 

Thanks everyone so far for input! 

cool, i also run the xt90's and most the time there great but there has been a few thick cable moments, think it was off high c rating batteries, enjoy

38 minutes ago, just rolling said:

cool, i also run the xt90's and most the time there great but there has been a few thick cable moments, think it was off high c rating batteries, enjoy

Yeah, the 5s batteries had 8AWG wire! Don't think I'd want to use anything thicker than that on XT90's!