• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lights for cars

philbr

I got some lights for my sons car and buying LED's seems just hit and miss

I got a light set with a control module and this gives seemingly random flashing patterns which is quite good but the headlights were not that bright.

bought 2 head light sets one described as bright and one as super white. The super white were pretty good and still waiting for the arrival of the other set

Is there any of gauging the brightness of LED's the description on most ebay ads seem pretty vague

I would like more scale flashing patterns ie side lights on, 4 way indicators, fog lights, reverse light ect

do I just have to buy a few and hope for the best or is there a better way of doing things

I bought a set years ago that you interconnected with the Rx plugs. This meant the indicators flashed when you steered, brake lights came on when braking etc.

Can you post some pics of what you've got?

Tamico sell a carson set which is spot on its a full set of front lights indicators and brake lights and as tug mentioned is linked in to the rx so works on command

do you have a link?

Post a pic of how bright they are i have some bright white but with your controller they might be dimmed ive replaced loads of those hobbyking ones soneone sent me a controller to check out after i sent him one of my kits. But my kits are basic on or off lol they will work with the units but if your looking for stupid bright leds you dont want any of these mate. 

Its smd or better cree leds that are the stupid bright ones on youtube but they can get hot ive seen people have to put heatsinks on them or mayb ther over juicing them which gets turned into heat. My leds are upto 12v but work best on 9v. 

Give me your addy via pm and ill solder some 35k mcd up and free post them for you to try against the ones you have.

Im my experience led kit sellers just say super bright or bright for the title most you cant tell a differece they wont light up the road the slash in my pic had 4x 5mm in the headlights and lit up around a metre in front of the car with the spots on too. The spots are 10mm 50k mcd. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

this is what I have so far and I am happy with it for this model. with the LED's mounted in the body with plastic mounts the headlights point in odd directions.

the headlights are separate from the rest as the headlights on the hobbyking set did not seem bright enough
Edited by philbr