• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT-02 Chassis variants

mo99y

Hi All,

Inspired by another thread I was reading and thinking back to a car I always fancied when I was a kid a (Tamiya Porsche 959)

Is there any real difference, apart from wheels and tyres between the components under the TT-02 cars? (There appears to be a Drift, S and R spec)

Thinking about the difference between the Ferrari, and the Lancia for example - does the Lancia offer any more ground clearance?

Thinking about running around on carparks etc. Maybe hard dirt tracks? Lancia ok for that?

Also notice the TT-02B buggy - I guess the suspension is different, but the chassis and transmission looks similar Would it accept an appropriate rally shell? (Maybe the rear suspension needs adapting?)

Any users with experience of the TT-02 on carpark/tarmac?

Rich

The variants come from the parts included and build instructions, so different set ups for rally (high ground clearance) over tourer or drift.

A much more versatile platform over the 01/e, so theoretically buy one chassis and build as you like.

Buggy has the longer arms and a few other bits, S has the metal prop cups and shaft etc and the drift has full wheel angle adjustment parts used for camber, toe in etc, might even have the locked rear diff and front one way spool. Check the spec sheets.

For note, tamiya use plastic diff internals on the 02...invest in metal, 01e internals instead, ordering an 02 ally prop shaft whilst you're about it :)

Thanks. I just saw that. And the shocks don't look too clever either....

They're not, lol! CVA or other aftermarket shocks are advised. I've only put one of mine together so far, found the plastics on the arms will strip threads too easily, so gentle approach when building ;)

I ran 01 diffs in my 02B out the box due to having loads laying about. Shame that 01 bits don't fit on the 02 really but its evolution I spose. With the 01, you had to shave bits off to get extra height but I have noticed round the 02B diff housings its skinnier so the arms drop down further, mainly shock length that dictates height on the 02 now.

Tamiya always seem to up the game where it doesn't seem possible.

I saw the plastic propshaft and went 'EUGH'!!!

Then I saw the plastic diff gears and plastic pins - TRIPLE EUGH!!

Horrible.

Doubtless, they'll be fine with the 540 Mabuchi, but up the game to BL of any description and they're nuked - IMHO!

Great build thread in the link, just the same.

Al.

Tamiya plastics are genrally tough, I give my dt02 a right pasting and it's holding up fine, tho I have ironed out the weak spots with a touch of ally. I was surprised at the 02 plastics stripping tbh, never had an issue with 01e arms doing the same on a first, second or third build.