• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

trophy truggy flux wheel hex upgrades

hi all, had the trophy truggy for a while now, infact ive now ended up with two, one of which is for my son, i know they do have there faults, but for the most part they seem to be a durable truck, now the main two weaknesses ive found after 1 year of ownership is the wheel hex adapters are weak point if you get a bad landing or crash at speed and land on one corner, this has happend to me twice, one back and one front snapped on the threaded part, backs are cheap enough but the fronts have to be bought as a pair of complete drive shafts, rip off comes to mind here, is it worth doin the upgrade, ive seen you can buy all the correct parts from modelsport uk in the option parts list for the truggy, also another weak spot  is the front plastic hinge pin holder under the steering rack assembly, that part does seem to snap from landings after some abuse of course, is it worth putting the aluminium upgrade in there or would that just transfer the force to another part of the chassis and break elsewhere. 

yup.

I never bothered with that suspension plate. Realised they stopped breaking after doing an M4 bolt mod to the diff casings

How do you do this mod? I have snapped tonnes of these crappy plastic suspension holders.

Essentially replace the m3 screws with m4's but you will need some fine dremeling skills to make room for the extra 0.5mm near the screw hole where the diff case lips are located.  Perfect for rear too as my bottom screws always bent causing the rear bumper to come loose.

Frontdiffscrews_zps850f7097.pngHPidiffcase2_zps83dda6c4.jpg

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

Essentially replace the m3 screws with m4's but you will need some fine dremeling skills to make room for the extra 0.5mm near the screw hole where the diff case lips are located. Perfect for rear too as my bottom screws always bent causing the rear bumper to come loose.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Thanks for the info, i don't understand how this stops the suspension holders from snapping though?

Neither did I.  Something like if they cant bend as much they don't snap as easily.

But from having the stronger bigger screws in there (namely done for the rear bumper) I didn't break one.

Or go to asia tees and spend 20 bucks, your choice.

Edited by Deafty

hi all, after I took the front end of today for a closer inspection of the above mentioned part, the plastic suspension pin holder under the front drive cup as said, it appears that it is weak screws causing this common fault, they are bending under force when landing from a heavy jump on the frond end of the chassis, which in turn snaps the plastic part at its weakest point in the centre under the drive cup, so I reckon if you put some m4 screws in there as mentioned, it should help to stop this problem, I thought upgrading to an alloy replacement would solve this issue, but that would olny direct the force or load back through the screws and diff housing which in my opinion is not that well made or that strong in the first place, any new idears or solution to this problem  would be much appreciated 

• Like 1

hi all, after I took the front end of today for a closer inspection of the above mentioned part, the plastic suspension pin holder under the front drive cup as said, it appears that it is weak screws causing this common fault, they are bending under force when landing from a heavy jump on the frond end of the chassis, which in turn snaps the plastic part at its weakest point in the centre under the drive cup, so I reckon if you put some m4 screws in there as mentioned, it should help to stop this problem, I thought upgrading to an alloy replacement would solve this issue, but that would olny direct the force or load back through the screws and diff housing which in my opinion is not that well made or that strong in the first place, any new idears or solution to this problem would be much appreciated

That would make sense, going to pop some larger screws in mine and put it to the test.

I noticed when doing this mod the longer screws obscured the main holes where the diff case is screwed to the chassis, i opted for thicker screws slightly longer but with a big head that fills the hole of the suspension holder, it feels really solid now. Going for a bash tomorrow so i will test it properly. Tbh i never realised how crapply the stock screws fitted and they were bent so i have good hopes for this mod.

Edited by RevoMikey

Hi all, I've found some stainless steel screws that are the same size, these should be much stronger than stock screws, I will give em a try and see how it goes, why don't hpi just supply this truggy with good quality screws etc from the box, not like its a cheap truggy

I noticed when doing this mod the longer screws obscured the main holes where the diff case is screwed to the chassis,

I don't see how that could happen.  Did you trim the dif house lip?  If not then your dif house is not closed properly which would result in the chassis alignment of the hole being  out.

Well, that didn't go to well on my sons truggy, it has done what i thought after a heavy landing and crash, the stainless screws have ripped out from the diff housing case a nd made a good mess of it, so the force has just been redirected back to the weakist point the diff housing case, cheap **** plastic from hpi, although mine seems just fine with no probs after a few good high jumps, mabye its best not to crash on front end from a jump lol, still ****** off though at how weak this front diff housing is, not sure if it would be worth looking for an alloy upgrade, ?, starting to think about moving away from hpi altogether, mabye a hyper, they sound tough and spares are cheap,

Nose landings are quite hard on a truck thou to be honest all the force is on one area.. Try landing it more square or flat on by blipping the throttle or hitting the brakes depending on what end is coming down first .. Can't really blame the truck for your bad driving skills when it breaks thou 

I never had a diff case go in all the time i had mine jumped it 30/40ft with no trouble bent a few screws but other than that it was fine .. Try some alloy suspension plates and a centre brace 

hi, thanks for advice, never thought of a brace to help strengthen it up some, to be fair your right about driving skills, the truggy in mention is my sons and he has a habbit of hitting the brakes in mid air and nose diving it, keep teeling him but it aint sunk in yet, my truggy seems fine cos more used to controlling it, hes come from a stampede vxl to this larger truggy, so suppose will have to give him time to ajust, til then im gunna be replacing a few parts, where could I get alloy suspension holders other than the hpi genuine upgrades which seem a bit pricey,

No one said that no.  I just mentioned that after replacing my m3 screws with M4's and trimming the dif house lips I never borked the front inside plastic one again.  Cheaper is better imo :lol:

Personally i would buy the king Headz ones under 'Lightning Stadium' but you'd need to clarify which is indeed the inside front.

Edited by Deafty