• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

EPA on ESC Will it do any damage

big turbo

Quick question my son is using my buggy more and more but I turn the power down using the throttle EPA I take it that it will not be a problem running it about at say 40%-50% power For long periods of time? Or can i damage it? Its a ezrun 60a and 5.5t motor on 2s lipo.

Edited by big turbo

Quick question my son is using my buggy more and more but I turn the power down using the throttle EPA I take it that it will not be a problem running it about at say 40%-50% power For long periods of time? Or can i damage it? Its a ezrun 60a and 5.5t motor on 2s lipo.

That will damage it yeah, in the long run; BL escs are most efficient at full throttle, so running them at anything less for long periods will damage the FETs ( higher switching rate at lower speeds or something along those lines, so they wear out much faster essentially- Patrick from Castle explained it once as many racers like to limit their throttle to ~80% and someone asked if it was an issue or not... ).

I would suggest swapping to a 6 cell nimh to limit speed, or change the gearing or motor really, less likely to cause a premature failure that way.

I believe ESCs operate with constant voltage so there is either the full voltage going to the motor, or no voltage. At half throttle the ESC is sending voltage half the time I suppose. So it is switching on/off/on/off. Not sure of the switching frequency. I don't think it is THAT much of a problem though. Although saying that, I had a friend with a Hobbywing SC8 that he used on 50% for weeks and it suddenly died without warning.

Industrial brushless motors operate with variable voltage variable frequency (VVVF) control, a much better control system than RC ESCs.

Thank you for the response one more question I was out this afternoon and my son was using my buggy and turned it down to 50% after about 10mins it stopped and the esc over heat protection cut it will this be related as I've never had a problem befor using it for 20-25mins constantly I'm pretty sure it not down to it being over geared as like I say never had a problem untill today?

Will dig out my old nimh packs and put them in from now on when he wants to use it.

Thank you for the response one more question I was out this afternoon and my son was using my buggy and turned it down to 50% after about 10mins it stopped and the esc over heat protection cut it will this be related as I've never had a problem befor using it for 20-25mins constantly I'm pretty sure it not down to it being over geared as like I say never had a problem untill today?

Will dig out my old nimh packs and put them in from now on when he wants to use it.

May be related- especially if the battery and motor were much cooler at the time. Lots of stopping & starting causes peaks in current draw much more often too, so temps will climb much faster in the esc.

Yer battery was not hot motor was 80-85F esc was 130F when i got to it, to check temps i have put a smaller pinion on was doing a lot of stop starts and doughnuts. Will see how we get on next time I'm out

Thank you for your help.