• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT-01 Gearing FDR's - for Faster motors

Perko

I wonder if someone can clarify this for me please? Just about to get a new TT-01. I thought I had gearing sussed, until I read two posts which say similar things but seem to contradict each other in terms of high /low FDR's for stock and faster motors.

The one from the first post on the "TT-01 essential upgrades" pinned topic says:

"In general, when you fit a faster motor, you fit a lower FDR. Fit a slower motor and you need a higher FDR. That doesn't take into account the space you've got to run the car in, so smaller areas mean a lower FDR as you're not going to be able to reach the top speed with a high FDR, so its always a balance of top speed and acceleration that match the motor and the area."

However, the one from the pinned topic on "Confused about gearing" (again 1st post) says:

"In general, when you fit a faster motor, you fit a higher FDR. Fit a slower motor and you need a low FDR. That doesn't take into account the space you've got to run the car in, so smaller areas mean a lower FDR as you're not going to be able to reach the top speed with a high FDR, so its always a balance of top speed and acceleration that match the motor and the area. For touring cars at least, FDR's of 7.5 or above are considered high."

I'm getting a 17 turn modified motor, so would really appreciate if someone could clarify whether it's best to go for low or high FDR's for the best speed please?

Cheers, and thanks.