• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Picco .26 Breakin?

Revorocks

Well i got this engine today but i was wondering how on earth do you break it in?

The instructions just say apply moderate throttle for 20-30 minutes...

does that basically mean let it idle for 30 mins? or should i be driving...

There are many different ways of doing it but this is the way i do it. Put the car on a piece of wood or something so the wheels are off the ground and let the car idle through a tank.

When that is done start driving around on tarmac or a hard surface no more that 1/2 throttle for about 4 or 5 tank after that is done you can start to go faster and lean it out.

Yea, i was thinking of idling for 3 tanks, then going around 1/4 -1/2 for 2 tanks then full throttle blips for 1 sec for another tank or 2

But on what tanks should i let it cool?

some say i should idle for 3-4 min then let it cool amd do that for 3 tanks.

Others say just let it idle through 3 tanks without even mentioning cooling...

Please could somone who owns this engine or has owned just tell me exactly what i needf to do?

I dont mean to be rude or anything i just wanna get the most outa this one as ive saved up for ages!

well i just found a online manual and they said this... would it be ok?

As with any new engine, there are many high spots and tight fits in the matching process. High spots create hot spots that

must be broke-in. Therefore, the break-in process is very important to provide good service by the OFNA engine. So, you

must run the engine rich (COOL) for the first three tanks of fuel. We recommend using one gallon of 20% BLUE THUNDER

or BYRON'S 2000 as break-in fuel. Other break-in type fuels or added oil is NOT needed. DO NOT OVER REV THE

ENGINE WHEN FIRST STARTING, this could break the piston and over heat the sleeve. Let engine run at a fast idle for

one tank to break-in the connecting rod bearing before starting full break-in. Let the engine cool down before continuing

and never stop the engine with the piston at top of the cylinder. This cool down period is for heat cycling the parts.

Thats just the first tank. then i can start my break in with the other 2 tanks of idle without cool down?

what shall i do... please help as ill be doing it tommorow...Thanks

Edited by revorocks

From what I understand, and my limited experience, Picco motors are by far the easiest and quickest to run in. I have been told in the past `three tanks rich, and then get on with it`.

You have done well to get this far with a pull start on the .26.

It will loosen up a bit now, and (when the blisters have healed) it will be ok to start with the pullie, and give a good amount of power.

You learn a lot with pull starts!

Yep, it was only the first start that was near impossible... now it just starts with 2 tugs!

this is great so far, i havnt really tuned it yet but it wheelies easily.

for breakin i did heat cycling for 1 tank. i just let it reach 200f then let it run for a min or 2 then shut it off and let it cool.

after that i did the traxxas break-in procedure

then after that im just going to drive it round with vareying rpm ranges for up to 10 tanks. then ill be done.

i got all thre break-in done today along with 3 tanks of vareying.

have i dont the right thing?

Ok, im gonna do 1 more tank just to be safe, then ill get bashing.

ill try to get a vid

hi please keep us posted on your progress as my 3.3 just buggred up, might get 1 of these as you suggested :good: