• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting Rather Anoyed with my Engine!

geo-hovis

I can't do the 'quote' thing from my phone but to say that % means only the nitro content is plainly incorrect. I have some 30% 'Big bang' nitro content with 20% oil that l keep for my racing boat and some weird 18% nitro 10% oil [CENSORED]e from Modeltechnics that l wouldn't put in a lawnmower! Geo-hovis - buy a decent 20%+ fuel with at least 12% "lubrication" and learn which needle is which... *insert smiley face*

I can't do the 'quote' thing from my phone but to say that % means only the nitro content is plainly incorrect. I have some 30% 'Big bang' nitro content with 20% oil that l keep for my racing boat and some weird 18% nitro 10% oil [CENSORED]e from Modeltechnics that l wouldn't put in a lawnmower! Geo-hovis - buy a decent 20%+ fuel with at least 12% "lubrication" and learn which needle is which... *insert smiley face*

Whatever.

How I have just got by with putting the right % of fuel in my car before now I will never know :rolleyes:

Sorry, does a person new to this forum that might just understand nitro fuel a tad more than a member of the 'establishment' bother you?

:lol: 'establishment'

I just think too much information sometimes does more harm than good,stick the fuel in and run the car,its simple :good:

I can't do emoticons on my phone but l'm laughing. I have to write on the bottles with marker pen which toy has what fuel - it confuses me sometimes. If l put boat fuel in the hyper will it float? :insane: oh that emoticon works!

No you don't need to. Some people increase nitro content over time, but it is not necessary (i actually don't know anyone who does)

All you need to do is get a good brand of fuel, with the right nitro content for your car and stick to it. Simple as. :good:

No, other way round. Increase nitro content and the advice you got was to reduce the oil content. You can if you wish but it's not necessary to.

now i'm getting confused!!!! So i need to decraese my nitro content and keep the oil the same over time? What is that duraglow on my fuel bottle?

no no no

forget oil content and increasing malarky,

I already told u, u need 20% fuel for that engine, prefrebly a good brand. You simply have been using a too a low % fuel like we established earlier

And why was he using too low a nitro content fuel? Because he misunderstood the advice he'd been given about % references. Is it not better to explain rather than just make sweeping statements?

if the idle goes down then picks back up again you are running to lean on the lsn. turn the lsn out (anti clockwise)1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if that helps. also keep an eye on temps as you may also be running the hsn lean aswell.

chris

not always,running rich also gives that result, running lean usaly will show a higher and smoother rev (bit like a motorcycle engine sound)

Can't remeber who told me, but this is all making sense now!!!! :D cos when i changed fuel i had to retune it and havn't got it running well since!!!! But i read somewhere you need to make hourly changes to the engine on nitros and i got the impression from my badly tunned engine these changes are major changes. So with a better fuel will it run more "smoothly" and not have to change the settings as much?

like the captain said mate, you only need to adjust it after each time to start it, nitro engine can be very temper mentle, sometimes you will fine that the lines bettween rich/perfect/lean are very thin, others there is loads of space

i thinks its the only fuel they sell. But i will go and get some asap and try and get the o'donnels. Take it model technics is supermarket fuel and o'donnels is high octane BP stuff!!!

you could put it like that yes, tornado or o'donnels should do you fine though ;)

Whoa! Hold on a minute, l think geo-hovis has had some good advice but mistook nitro content for oil content. Nitro content should increase as the engine breaks in (it isn't necessary, engines can be run-in on 25% nitro if the oil content is high) but OIL content can be reduced as the sleeve and piston wear to match each other. Increase the fuel's nitro content to 20%+ and use a fuel with 10-16% OIL content and it should be fine....unless you running poor fuel has damaged the engine already!

thats wasting time for no reason, just run it an the same fuel all the time, once the engine don't work replace piston or liner

or the whole engine, changing oil content won't make much difference unless you are a racer in which case you will need everything you can get ;)

now i'm getting confused!!!! So i need to decraese my nitro content and keep the oil the same over time? What is that duraglow on my fuel bottle?

no, best off keeping both of them the same, chaging them is basicly pointless.

And why was he using too low a nitro content fuel? Because he misunderstood the advice he'd been given about % references. Is it not better to explain rather than just make sweeping statements?

sweeping statments rarely work i agree, but his reasons for being confused are not from us but the lhs ;)

Earlier in the thread geo-hovis said (l can't do quotes) that he was running 16% 'and l was told to reduce it each time so l got 10%'. The advice related to oil content and not nitro %. I thought l'd try and clarify the difference and highlight why they are different.