• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

One servo, two inputs

Mr Fro

I've had an idea... After I had a little lie down to get over the pain I considered it some more and can't quite decide if it's easily possible or not.

I have an FG 1:5 touring car that I've put disc brakes all round on. I'd like the front and rear brakes to function as normal i.e. when I prod the TX trigger forwards. What I'd also like to do is use channel 3 to activate the rear brakes only so I can do some sweet handbrake turns and the like.

If it were something DC I would just bung in a diode but with a PWM signal I can't think of an easy way of doing it - I'd probably have to split the signal with an ESP32 or something.

Is there something commercially available that would do the trick or am I doomed to writing some code or having to use the front & rear brakes independently? 

Cheers,

Fro

Do you have a transmitter that does channel

mixing? You might be able to program in that sort of behaviour on some of the more configurable units. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

Do you have a transmitter that does channel

mixing? You might be able to program in that sort of behaviour on some of the more configurable units. 

Nah, just some old HiTec unit. One dat I might splash out on something more ritzy but not yet 

• Like 1

Basically....you can;t really do this with a single servo....

If I wanted to set up something like this, I would simply double up the servo and use a second rod to pull the brake.

You would need to make up a new actuating arm for the brake, and find a place to mount a second servo. Then just operate that servo on the third channel alone. Most third channel functions are 'on/off' not propertional, so you will have no brake ...or all the brake you are going to get ... so make sure you can adjust the brake force physically with the actuating mechanism.

But, yes. It should certainly be possible

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Basically....you can;t really do this with a single servo....

If I wanted to set up something like this, I would simply double up the servo and use a second rod to pull the brake.

You would need to make up a new actuating arm for the brake, and find a place to mount a second servo. Then just operate that servo on the third channel alone. Most third channel functions are 'on/off' not propertional, so you will have no brake ...or all the brake you are going to get ... so make sure you can adjust the brake force physically with the actuating mechanism.

But, yes. It should certainly be possible

That's pretty much where my thoughts have ended up.

It's not terrible but complicates the servo mounting / brake actuating a little. On - off is fine as the proper hooliganism is an all or nothing affair in my experience. 😁

I'm going to model something up in CAD and see how sketchy it is...