• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheapest way into nitro cars

clarkgarg85

Hey, I have been looking into nitro rc vehicles, mainly cars and wanted to know what is the cheapest way into it? I have worked on many small engines and understand them pretty well and though nitro cars would be fun. Would eBay be a easy way to pick one up? If I’m not serious about racing or top of the line products, can I just pick up the cheapest showbox buggy out there or will it break apart easily. (Heard the plastic gears can break easily) thanks. usps tracking

Edited by clarkgarg85

Buy the cheapest 2nd hand nitro that has been well looked after & used and see if it's for you. if you feel happy with it, buy the new kit.

Worth checking on a local FB Group/Marketplace where they sell used nitro, saves you the costs of paying eBay/PayPal fees!!

Hey, I agree with Tony. eBay is a great place to get cheap nitros from. People tend to only think about the fun of the noise and an actual engine on their RC but when it comes to maintenance usually end up listing it on ebay. i managed to pick up a Ofna X1-CRT for 50 or so quid, absolutely bulletproof car and it had a .28 engine which was an absolute win. 1 afternoon later and it was all tidy and ripping up the garden.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Verzino said:

Hey, I agree with Tony. eBay is a great place to get cheap nitros from. People tend to only think about the fun of the noise and an actual engine on their RC but when it comes to maintenance usually end up listing it on ebay. i managed to pick up a Ofna X1-CRT for 50 or so quid, absolutely bulletproof car and it had a .28 engine which was an absolute win. 1 afternoon later and it was all tidy and ripping up the garden.

A few years ago I did the same on EBay and now have 4 :)

Hong Nor Ultra LX2 - Force .25

Hong Nor Ultra LX2 - Force .32

XTM XT2 Terminator 2 - 24.5

Hyper 7 SS - AR.28

All purchased from £50-£85 they all needed a few bits like a glow plug, clutch shoes, rear crank bearing, piston con rod and a tune

(it’s a good hobby if you have patience)

0BEF61D3-E713-42FC-80C2-F00C4E3BE564.jpeg

31DCC49B-2B59-4C9A-AB0F-E2C751E0E795.jpeg

D27F37C6-F81A-46E7-B260-C7404ABB407E.jpeg

683113BB-AC5C-4140-B693-C441EA41563B.jpeg

• Like 1

As others have said, the cheapest way is buying second hand. While some cars are trashed requiring a whole new engine, just wait a few weeks and will the unused Christmas presents will be appearing. Lots of people buy them expecting to be racing around making lots of noise, then discover the engine can't be turned on and off with a switch and that there's a big learning curve for beginners just to get the engine run in.

As for plastic gears breaking, they are designed to do that as a safety feature. Engine idling too high so the clutch drags and overheats, I prefer the spur gear to melt before the clutch bell explodes throwing shrapnel around. Crashing into a solid object at full speed, I would prefer the spur gear to snap teeth off rather than the crankshaft suddenly stop and damage the engine.

• 1 month later...