• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charging Batteries away from a mains plug

TrinityUTT

So I'm taking my Ebuggy out and about at the weekend. I am currently only using NiMh batteries until i gain confidence and knowledge about the LiPo ones.

Anyway I read somewhere that i should take a 12v leisure battery with me to charge my batteries.

When i google these, all i see are car batteries.

What do i need to buy?

Thanks again

Your resident noob

Look for a deep cycle caravan/leisure battery, I bought one from Halfords many years ago 

https://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/caravan-motorhomes/electrical-power/halfords-leisure-battery-hlb681
Ok so how do I then connect my mains charger to this?
Sorry for stupid questions.

I'm guessing thats how it works,

Leisure batt to mains charger to batt pack

So dug out charger manual.
The manual says exactly what you said, it comes with croc clips, except it doesnt.
It comes with a 12v cigarette lighter attachment. Which is great but I can't use that lol.

I'll see if i can find a different charger that will charge my batts and has croc clips9e6d088d58e336ab3ddd02d8ecbd6f2d.jpg71c8a159d39fe29c77ab753c65020dfd.jpg

13 minutes ago, 1111 said:

Just cut off the cig connector and buy some croc  clips and solder them on. Dc is only if you don't have 220-240 available  power source. I have never used DC.

Alternatively, most car accessory shops sell cigar lighter sockets with crocodile clips on.

If that is the charger you are going to use, why not just charge from your car - I assume you have one, as you really don't want to be humping a liesure battery about! Then just keep starting your engine occasionally, to ensure enough charge left to start your car.