• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beginner (returning to old hobby advice)

Rondo89

Hi,

I used to have an electric rally car in my teens and I was hoping to make a return to my old hobby. 

I’ve been doing a little research but I’ve been left a little overwhelmed by it all. I know I’m after an electric rally car, preferably to build it myself so I can learn all the mechanics again - if that’s even recommended for a first timer? I originally thought I’d go petrol but I thought I save that for later down the line when I’m a little clued up.  

Can anyone advise me where to start (what model etc)? I absolutely love the look of the Kyosho DRX Subaru Impreza 1/9 30879 but have no idea if something like that would be suitable or too difficult for a beginner to assemble? 

52 minutes ago, Rondo89 said:

Hi,

I used to have an electric rally car in my teens and I was hoping to make a return to my old hobby. 

I’ve been doing a little research but I’ve been left a little overwhelmed by it all. I know I’m after an electric rally car, preferably to build it myself so I can learn all the mechanics again - if that’s even recommended for a first timer? I originally thought I’d go petrol but I thought I save that for later down the line when I’m a little clued up.  

Can anyone advise me where to start (what model etc)? I absolutely love the look of the Kyosho DRX Subaru Impreza 1/9 30879 but have no idea if something like that would be suitable or too difficult for a beginner to assemble? 

as long as the instruction manual is good you should be fine with the Kyosho :) 

Im not certain could be wrong but i think the kyosho drx is RTR already built ready to run. Its been out for awhile too and kyosho aren't the best brand for parts supply. I would go through the stores websites and ebay to gauge whats available for it. 

Have they released it again recently mayb i missed that. But if not i would avoid it now. 

The best thing to happen to rally car rc imo only mayb is the SCT to rally cars. 

Traxxas rally 1/10 4x4

Team associated pro rally 1/10 

They are based on SC trucks so much better than on road to rally car conversions. Imo. Especially the traxxas bcos the slash 4x4 which it basically is has the most parts support and upgrades avalible than any rc i think. Lucky to get upgrades for some rcs. Traxxas has options and options for upgrades cheap or pricey. But research anything before buying as sometimes upgrades are sctually huge down grades lol. No name ones at least. 

You can put big power into them 1/8 power combos and they fly. 2-3 or 4s. 

You can do it yourself too. Buy an SC truck then buy the parts like front bumper, body mounts, body etc. Proline offer a ford focus that fits the SC to rally cars. 

Hpi wr8 and kyosho drx were it when i looked everyone loved that they are bigger 1/9 ish scale. But then the SC based rally cars came and pretty much are 1/8 scale. 

Otherwise pretty much stuck with Tamiya rcs which are at least kit builds. But a conversion is still building. Buy a nice used base model and refresh it all the way. Thats a build lol. Either save afew quid or get something much higher end for similar money. 

The hard part is finding that great used deal. But they are around infrequently. Even brand new never used sold as used deals. They spend 400. Dont use it. Sell it to you for 200. Buzzing. 

As Jumper said I don't think particularly any R/c car on the market in kit form is really that hard to assemble providing you can follow/read instructions and use basic tools like screwdrivers. Sometimes in the past the biggest problem could have been setting up the ESC/receiver but even that's a doddle in most cases nowadays with built in "bind" buttons & one button set ups. 

Have you thought about where you are going to run it Rondo89?

I love the 1/10th scale touring/GT/rally cars and the like but sometimes when I've had them in the past finding good areas to run them can be a PITA. Even the rally ones with raised suspension heights can be problematic. Albeit the one you're looking at is a slightly larger scale so should be a little better.