• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ascender k5 mods

Looking for some worth while upgrades or mods on my ascender, wouldn’t mind more weight lower down? Is there anything other than wheel weights to get results. I’ve hesrd about the shock mod what does that involve? Don’t get me wrong it’s a very capable car as standard and keeps up with my mates scx2 all day I’m just wanting to make her more capable if possible.

Low down weight, decent foams in the tyres (crawler innovations) decent esc and motor (hobbywing 1080 esc and a rebuildable 35-45t motor)

what tyres do you run?

basically you need each wheel to be in contact with the ground at all times, most rtr crawlers and kits when built give you a stock baseline to work from, this is where it could get tricky, what suits my driving style probably wouldn’t match yours or many other folk.

me and my lad have different set-ups too. It’s a very personal thing.

best thing is do one mod/upgrade at a time and see what differing result you come up with until your happy 

I do apologise it it comes across a bit vague but we are all different. 

Keep us updated though on how you go, always interested in seeing different set-ups :good:

Do you have a double glazing business near you?

if so get some of that sticky backed lead they use to put those criss-cross patterns. Sticks to the wheels and isn’t as bulky as 1:1 wheel weights.

ideally more on the front, as a guide, maybe 3-5 ounces in each front wheel and try that. Make sure you’re servo is up to the job turning heavier wheels. :good:

Yes there is and my mate works there so that’s that sorted! I remember people fitting beef tubes to the scx’s a while ago? There’s noo where near the hop ups for the k5 as there is for axial but I’d hoped for a few more than I’ve seen so far! Luckily it’s a plentiful capable rig out the box really lol