• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Car keeps stalling when wheels hit floor

Carloss

in trying to get car started last week in arctic conditions messed up carb settings adjusting needles from where they originally were

have got car starting again but now car stalls when wheels hit the floor any ideas would be massively appreciated 

in trying to get car started last week in arctic conditions messed up carb settings adjusting needles from where they originally were
have got car starting again but now car stalls when wheels hit the floor any ideas would be massively appreciated 

Sounds like a clutch issue. Either bearings failed or spring has snapped. If you keep the wheels off the ground and brake does it stall?

Alternatively its a low idle if it stall when you drop it on the ground from a height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPI Firestorm it was driving fine until last week now have realised that I think I’ve got a leak from exhaust gasket which I’m gonna change in next few days when it gets here also wondered if anyone has got a link to or could give me any guidance on how to get brakes set up correctly so I can try get them set up perfect along with needle settings to try and get car running well again as now the only way I can drive it is to give it throttle when I let it go like I said on last post as soon as wheels hit floor it just stalls won’t just sit and idle only way to keep engine going is to have back wheels held up only so there not touching ground and can spin and when letting it go give it throttle then while driving I’ve realised brake won’t stop the car although if engine I’ve managed to adjust brakes and get the car to stop when pushing forward by hand with jus the electrics on 

If it's a firestorm then it"s definitely a snapped clutch spring - it's the weakest part of the truck! You may want to stock up on a few.

The factory needle setting is flush with the needle housing. Once the engine's warm start making small turns clockwise, about 1/8 at a time - you should see the acceleration improve. Once you've gone too far it'll start bogging down as it's too lean - at this stage make an adjustment 1/4 turn anti-clockwise and you should have a good tune.

I strongly recommend sorting your clutch out first though otherwise you could find yourself enjoying a runaway.

9 hours ago, Carloss said:

Does anyone know of any upgraded brake discs to fit HPI Firestorm?

There aren't any that i'm aware of - just the standard ally pads clamping onto the fibre disc. Stock setup works well - if you're having problems then you could tighten the 2 retaining bolts a little so that the pads bite more when applied. Also, check the disc itself - it's fibre so will soak up nitro fuel if it comes into contact. Also the disc can "glaze" over after lots of use. Finally, s high torque servo will give you decent braking action :) 

3 hours ago, James1986 said:

There aren't any that i'm aware of - just the standard ally pads clamping onto the fibre disc. Stock setup works well - if you're having problems then you could tighten the 2 retaining bolts a little so that the pads bite more when applied. Also, check the disc itself - it's fibre so will soak up nitro fuel if it comes into contact. Also the disc can "glaze" over after lots of use. Finally, s high torque servo will give you decent braking action :) 

Not having any particular problems with braking jus interested to do any upgrades Possible and feasible. Got any reccomendations on a good high torque servo I could upgrade too?