• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slash 2WD - LCG or HCG?

bertberr

Mulling over ordering an LCG kit for my daughters Slash 2WD.  I've done the usual ultrashock upgrades, inc. getting rid of the progressive springs, thicker shock oil, aluminium caps etc.  This has certainly reduced slightly its inclination to traction roll, but it does still end up on its arse rather too often for my liking...

It does have the advantage of decent ground clearance of course, for the odd occasion that she takes it through longer grass etc, but seeing as the majority of use is on a loose over hard pack BMX track, or gravelly car parks, I'm guessing the LCG will be a better option?

Thoughts from the Slash owners on here who've made the change?  Worthwhile?  Anybody gone back the other way again? Cheers

Been rear wheel drive, it shouldn't really grip roll all that often... But the LCG does take the weight a bit lower, if you're on a loose surface that should lessen the grip roll even more... Perhaps look into a bit better throttle control first or a less punchy ESC setting or something?

I can't imagine the LCG to be an instant fix, but someone else may correct me.

The rolling tends to be more on tarmac and short grass, just drifts on the really loose stuff.  Good point re the esc settings, but unfortunately this is an XL5 version.  Its not so much an issue starting off, and the combination of mild power (even on 7 cell) and a fairly controlled trigger finger for a 5 yr old, mean that the problem is more apparent with higher speed direction changes.

The other option is to let her use my Blitz on higher bite surfaces, and order some PL extended body posts and turn the Slash into a Monster SC(?) - I have some reasonable 2.8 Badlands that could go on for when she's on the rougher / deeper stuff.   I have to do a Tower order for a few bits and pieces in the next day or so and the LCG kit is only 22 quid + taxes from them, hence why I was thinking it could be a good time to do it.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

I had my 2wd slash f150 and it looked great with standard chassis but did tend to roll quite a bit, the lcg chassis made it alot more fun, able to slide more and not roll over

yeah it will be interesting to see we get on with it.  Before fitting it I'm going to chuck on some big ol 2.8 MT tyres/wheels and some PL extended body posts, to go with my recent shock refresh.  I've ditched the stock progressive's, gone with some black linear rate ones - R - 3757 & F - 2458, and some Traxxas aluminium shock caps.  Just trying to decide what weight oil to use with these new springs, was thinking maybe 40 front & 45 rear?  Or should I go heavier?  Just want to reduce roll as much as possible before going LCG.  

40 and 45 sound good, the alloy shock caps deffo help but mine still leaked...i did alot of jumping so prob my own fault. The traxxas big bore shocks are not cheap but work great with the same jumping about