• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

is the ftx colt any good?

B4D TEMP3R 303

I plan on getting this soon as something cheap and fun to mess around with in skate park or on dirt ect and it will be my first electric rc as I'm more a nitro guy I know its not gonna be the best model out there coz it is cheap and little after all but there's some things I wanna know first

1. is it fast for the size and price I will convert it to brushless but not for awhile so wanna know if it will be fast enough in the mean time

2. how durable is it and what will most likely break first so I can upgrade it first 

3. is it easy to convert to brushless what would I need in total when I do do it

Edited by B4D TEMP3R 303

Rx and esc are combined so when you upgrade you need to take that into account.

I really like the look of it and I read a promising review in RC Racer. I'd definitely consider one as they're about

so is that gonna make it harder to convert to brushless ? I don't know much about electric rc yet

Not harder just a tad more expensive. Rather than buying a new esc + motor you would need a new esc + motor + rx. Assuming you can use a TX you already have. Or fit a rx you already have.

Not harder just a tad more expensive. Rather than buying a new esc + motor you would need a new esc + motor + rx. Assuming you can use a TX you already have. Or fit a rx you already have.

oh ok so I also might actually need a new Tx to go with the new Rx I would need great lol oh well I'll still do it lol 

yh but I'm gonna do all the upgrades to it so it won't be brittle when I'm done with it

and by time u`ve spent doing that u could of bought a proper quality rc....which will b strong and have quality plastics from the moment u take it out the box....not chuck aload of extra money at it to make it bashable....jus my 2 cents.... Edited by evssv

and by time u`ve spent doing that u could of bought a proper quality rc....which will b strong and have quality plastics from the moment u take it out the box....not chuck aload of extra money at it to make it bashable....jus my 2 cents....

yh but I want a 1/18th buggy and I like modifying and making or doing things my self so all that don't bother me nor does the money but I do understand what you mean it makes no sense I just don't care lol

Avoid it - for all the reasons above, and get something like the emb-1.  It's a small 1/12, more 1/14 sized.  Buy the rtr kit from the uk and you'll have an upgrade path in the 'kit' versions of the towers, shocks and chassis, or buy the rtr from trade4me.de and get the metal parts already fitted.  Small, fast, strong and well supported.

15992347964_97f29ac415_o.jpg

If you've already bought the ftx, or talking yourself into it - Good luck.

Erm....

OK lets start with the basics: FTX don't MAKE any of their RC's - they are all sourced from other companies. Consequently experience with a Viper means exactly nothing when considering a Colt as the chances are the only thing is common is the FTX badge.

As it happens FTX have a lot of experience selling 1/18th buggys, and their Blaze from 5 or so years back was easily the best micro buggy until the Mini 8ight.

However in this case I do agree that its not a great choice - but thats because a 1/18th isn't really suitable for offroad use. Modern racing micros like the EMB, GTB or Mini 8ight are all much larger. That makes a big difference to what it can handle.

yh but I want a 1/18th buggy and I like modifying and making or doing things my self so all that don't bother me nor does the money but I do understand what you mean it makes no sense I just don't care lol

pm sent losi miniT Edited by evssv