• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

I really rate the Ansmann xBase and xMove chargers, they are rebrands of iMax chargers but come with UK warrenty, and if you buy one as a Modelsport Supporter, you earn loyalty credits. :D

Battery wise, theres a LOT of choice, have a look on Modelsport and eBay, Hobbyking etc. Aim for around 4000-5000mah, 20C or above. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4000mah 3S to use in my mad monkey which is 40-50C.

My question is how does the c rating effect performance and to what extent. All my previous lipos are around 25C so interested in the difference!?

In theory, higher C-rating means more power, in terms of punch. I.E, hit the throttle and you get more whoosh :lol: The first of the two C-numbers is the important one, 40C (as that is the constant current, the other one (50C) is the burst current which is for fractions of a second).

C-ratings mean nothing without knowing battery capacity though. For example, high C-rating with low capacity could be worse than high capacity and low C-rating.

4000mah 40C is 160A (4.0x40=160A)

5000mah 20C is 100A (5.0x20=100A)

2000mah 60C is 120A (2.0x60=120A)

• 2 months later...

Hi all, very new to RC and about to buy me and my son our first SC's. We are getting the Slash 4x4 ultimate and the Losi Ten SCTE 4x4 RTR. Hoping to get them running on Lipo's but a little confused about a few things.

A review in the states recommended Maxamps 6500 mah 2S1P lipo's for the SCTE. Been trying to get these over hear but alot of them are quoting that they are 2S2P. I think from what i have understood is that they are 2 x 3250 mah if using the 6500 mah example. I think i will need them as big as 6500 mah as the Losi is almost 1 lb heavier than the Slash 4x4 and to get a decent run out from one battery then i will need to go this big. I am hoping to get about 25 to 30 mins from one of these batteries in the Losi and about 40 mins in the Slash 4x4.

I have been looking at buying these from the US of A as they are obviously cheaper but worried about what i will be charged in customs charges when they get here. Also is there much difference between the Maxamps Lipos and others such as Turnigy, Venom, Zippy and Gens for example. I am looking to get perhaps three 2S and One 3S lipo to start off with.

Also a little bit confused about what charger to get. From modelsport, i am interested in the Fusion LX61B or the Orion 605, but worried whether these will e powerfull enough to charge the larger mah batteries. If i get a charger with a plug in balance board, will i be able to parralel charge say three batteries.

Hope i havent asked too many questions but would rather get a decent charger that will cope with the batteries from the start than to find out less than a year later that i need to upgrade again. Would also rather get the charger from the UK as worried about any warranty that may come with one from abroad.

Any help will be really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread and helped me a lot when deciphering LiPO batteries and chargers.

It might be good to explain a little on the balance charging - mainly because I'm sat here waiting for my battery to balance :)

For instance, I have a Zippy 5000mah 4S 30C battery charging through an accucel 6.

At the moment it is on balance charge and the cells are reading 4.2v, 4.19v, 4.19v and 4.14v

The 4.2v cells keep dropping to 4.18/4.19, but the 4.14 cell hovers between 4.13 and 4.14.

I understand that it is bad for them to go above 4.2, and that the charger is supposed to drop the voltage to the high so it can up that of the low.

The 4.14 is now flipping over to 4.15, but it is taking an age.

What is an acceptable difference between cell voltage, and is it better to balance charge out of alignment cells, or discharge them and then balance charge?

Hi all, very new to RC and about to buy me and my son our first SC's. We are getting the Slash 4x4 ultimate and the Losi Ten SCTE 4x4 RTR. Hoping to get them running on Lipo's but a little confused about a few things.

A review in the states recommended Maxamps 6500 mah 2S1P lipo's for the SCTE. Been trying to get these over hear but alot of them are quoting that they are 2S2P. I think from what i have understood is that they are 2 x 3250 mah if using the 6500 mah example. I think i will need them as big as 6500 mah as the Losi is almost 1 lb heavier than the Slash 4x4 and to get a decent run out from one battery then i will need to go this big. I am hoping to get about 25 to 30 mins from one of these batteries in the Losi and about 40 mins in the Slash 4x4.

I have been looking at buying these from the US of A as they are obviously cheaper but worried about what i will be charged in customs charges when they get here. Also is there much difference between the Maxamps Lipos and others such as Turnigy, Venom, Zippy and Gens for example. I am looking to get perhaps three 2S and One 3S lipo to start off with.

Also a little bit confused about what charger to get. From modelsport, i am interested in the Fusion LX61B or the Orion 605, but worried whether these will e powerfull enough to charge the larger mah batteries. If i get a charger with a plug in balance board, will i be able to parralel charge say three batteries.

Hope i havent asked too many questions but would rather get a decent charger that will cope with the batteries from the start than to find out less than a year later that i need to upgrade again. Would also rather get the charger from the UK as worried about any warranty that may come with one from abroad.

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfFBKE7Dw8I

Wow, that was an eye opener. Thanks for that mate. Just ordered the slash 4x4 ultimate and Ten-SCTE RTR. Decided to go with overlander 6000mAh 7.4v 60C after all the good advice obtained from modelsport. Certainly won't be getting anything from maxxamps tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I purchased the Fusion LX61B charger along with two Overlander 6000 mAh 2S 60C Lipo batteries. I was told by modelsport was futureproof and that with the also purchased parallel connection lead that I could charge both batteries at the same time. I have tried to do this and it wont let me parallel charge but I can obviously charge one battery at a time. Modelsport were great about it but could not work out why I could not charge both batteries at the same time. I called Logic RC and they stated that it may be that because the batteries were new, it may work after several charges one at a time.

After reading the really useful thread can someone just clarify that I am understanding this correctly. The LX61B charger will only charge up to 10 Ah or as it says on the modelsport website 9900 mAh in stages of 100mAh so therefore wont be able to do my two batteries in parallel as the total is 12 Ah or 12000 mAh. If I wanted to charge in parallel (I will want to get extra batteries later on) then will I need to get a more powerful charger.

If that

First of all, do not buy that overpriced Maxamps rubbish.

Yes they are ok batteries, but you will get just as good ones for a fraction of the price from Hobby King. Go for Turnigy or Zippy Flightmax, they are practically the same although Turnigy seem more popular.

I think 6000mah will give you about 40 minutes in a Slash 4x4.

Be sure to check the dimensions of the batteries before buying too, you'll want to make sure they fit obviously.

If you are ordering from Hobby King then you may aswell get the charger from there too, along with a PSU.

If you want to charge multiple batteries at the same time then buy a high wattage charger 200W or so if you're charging 3 or more 5000mah+ 3S packs.

Keep in mind you will need a PSU to cope with it too.

When you charge multiple LiPos, you charge in series, not paralell.

To charge 2 3s packs, you would set the charger to 6S and connect them in series, and use a dual balance board.

For my setup, I just bought some Turnigy 5000mah 2s and 3s packs, an Accucel 6 from eBay and a 200W Ripmax PSU. Works fine, takes about an hour to charge a pack.

For your case I think it would be ok for you, as yes the charging may take a couple of hours, however you will get ALOT of runtime from it...

If anyone is after lipos check out my for sale thread. NLB have their own hardcase packs and from the feedback and my own experiences they are better than Turnigy and cheap. They are available from http://shop.northlondonbashers.co.uk for a good price. 35C with 60C burst. I use mine in my TC5 and it's just as quick as the more expensive brands. Bazzokajoe and Quantra use them too in TC and 1/10 buggy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ok, I purchased the Fusion LX61B charger along with two Overlander 6000 mAh 2S 60C Lipo batteries. I was told by modelsport was futureproof and that with the also purchased parallel connection lead that I could charge both batteries at the same time. I have tried to do this and it wont let me parallel charge but I can obviously charge one battery at a time. Modelsport were great about it but could not work out why I could not charge both batteries at the same time. I called Logic RC and they stated that it may be that because the batteries were new, it may work after several charges one at a time.

After reading the really useful thread can someone just clarify that I am understanding this correctly. The LX61B charger will only charge up to 10 Ah or as it says on the modelsport website 9900 mAh in stages of 100mAh so therefore wont be able to do my two batteries in parallel as the total is 12 Ah or 12000 mAh. If I wanted to charge in parallel (I will want to get extra batteries later on) then will I need to get a more powerful charger.

If that

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone that can give some advice re my last post. Just need clarification that I'm on the right track. Garry, if you're about, can you help mate please.

First of all advice to charge lipos in series is misleading. Generally charging in series is unsafe and doesn't not provide much advantage over parallel, it's also bit slower than parallel as balancing takes more time (more cells to balance).

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos/parallel-charging

For good future proof charger I'd buy cellpro 10xs and a 500-600 watt power source. Cellpro and powerlab chargers are the best on the market right next to hyperion chargers and will provide safe and battery friendly charging. They also can be used to charge NiMh batteries.

Personally I use Powerlab 8 with 1000 watt power source, but it might be overkill (I also fly helicopters and mainly use this charger to charge my heli packs). I can charge 4 5000mAh packs in about 40 minutes in parallel at 1.5C charge rate.

You can power your charger with that leisure battery, btw.

Thanks for your advice. I have spooken to Modelsport and they said that i can send the LX61B back. They have recommended either the etronix quad charger or this one from Ansmann:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-xmove-2.0-station/rc-car-products/39862

Apparently, if i charge four 6000mah 2s lipo's all at once then it should only take a little over one hour. If i charge the same mah batteries but 3s, then it should only take a little longer (perhaps 90 mins) which when you think about it, four batteries of the above size fully charged in around 60 to 90 mins sounds quite good. I will have to buy extra balance boards and connectors along with the Fusion 600 watt PSU, but it all sound reasonable.

Is this right that even though the batteries are 6000ah to 6500 mah in size, and the charger only charges at a max of 5ah, that it will still work but that it may take a fraction longer.

So to sum up, for aroun

• 4 weeks later...

have had a quick read through this thread but couldnt see the answer

What does the S mean ie 2S batterys

Guess the S is also to do with the volts

2s 7.4

3s 11.1

4s 14.8

lastly,ive read about the cut out on the esc to stop the lipo getting to low with being use,do most esc that this cut out as standard fit

Edited by Tim84

• 1 month later...

Just a quicky.

Got a 2S 7.4 50C 5200 lipo, my charger can charge up to 5amp, but due to the power supply being 1.5a, I can only charge at this rate (keep getting input voltage low if I use 5a setting. Will the batteries charge to full 5200 capacity but just at a slower rate?

Your help very much appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for he newbie question, how would I charge a Overland sport 7.4v 3900 25c 2s stick pack?

Am I right in thinking 7.4v 3.9A?

Regards

Rob

Yes - I have one of those and use those settings myself. According to the labelling on it you can charge it at up to 2C (ie 7.8A if your charger can deliver that much current), personally I'd push it to 5A if I was in a hurry but my understanding is that 1C (3.9A) gives the optimum results. Edited by cat7

I've read that to throw a lipo away you need to drain it flat using a light bulb however i shorted one of mine while trying to solder a deans plug to it and now it does not work. I just want to dispose of it safely. Anyone know what i should do?