• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Helion criterion

stejeyuk

My wife surprised me with a criterion for Christmas. I have decided to keep the motor standard but wondered what other upgrades you would recommend. I think it runs fast enough for a beginner to practice on a track but is there any handling mods that would assist a dumb ass like me with a heavy trigger finger.

Not handling as such but I'd junk the snap-on ball end rods and replace with traxxas captive rod ends and adjustable turnbuckles. On my Volition once those rods had popped off a few times they did it all the time. Adjustable shocks would be my next job followed by a budget brushless setup (I can recommend the Turnigy 3520kv combo).

Thanks for that. I will look into the rod ends but keep the standard motor for now as my boost has a brushless conversion. Would you recommend that turnigy motor for an ftx vantage?

Oh I would recommend that 80a/3520kv combo for almost anything tbh! I've got one in my Carnage one in my Monster Viper. It's a beaut of a combo. I'm getting the 3000kv version for an upcoming Hooligan conversion. 

It seems like a good combo to me. Haven't had any issues with it, and the program card makes setup really easy. It's a 4-pole motor that's nice and torquey. It's very quick on 2s and on 3s its rapid, to be honest I need better tyres to be able to put the power down because in this type of weather the stock traxxas tyres just get spun up. Mines fitted in my Slash 2wd.